Colt Forum banner

Pretty interesting old Remington .44 Army rig

855 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Hootch56 
#1 ·
I recently picked up this rig and have enjoyed conjuring up images in my head about where its been.

The pistol started out as a 1st Contract Remington .44 Army made in March 1863. Its martially inspected/cartouched and its 15,xxx serial number matches throughout. It appears to have been silver plated after serving in the Civil War. Looks like very old plating and it was done with minimal metal prep as its still pretty sharp all around. It has the early barrel address and its a little faint but most I have seen are this way especially the later ones stamped "New Model". Front sight is also the early dovetail type.

The holster is original Civil War US issue and was apparently used for both Colt and Remington Army pistols. Like the pistol it was embellished after serving in the Army with the addition of silver studs. They are aged with verdigris on the inside and look to have been in place for a long time.
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Shotgun

Gun Revolver Trigger Shotgun

Leather Fashion accessory

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Shotgun

Metal Steel

Funny how as a collector I normally look right past this type of pistol but this one just caught my attention due to being downright cool :D

See less See more
#5 ·
Well done Dalfort;

That's a very nice example of the old Remington, and it's quite rare to find one with all the screws in such remarkable condition.

I sold one about two years ago that wasn't in quite as good a condition as yours and it fetched a pretty fair dollar for Canada.

Nice to see somebody get a real nice one for a change.

Bud

I recently picked up this rig and have enjoyed conjuring up images in my head about where its been.

The pistol started out as a 1st Contract Remington .44 Army made in March 1863. Its martially inspected/cartouched and its 15,xxx serial number matches throughout. It appears to have been silver plated after serving in the Civil War. Looks like very old plating and it was done with minimal metal prep as its still pretty sharp all around. It has the early barrel address and its a little faint but most I have seen are this way especially the later ones stamped "New Model". Front sight is also the early dovetail type.

The holster is original Civil War US issue and was apparently used for both Colt and Remington Army pistols. Like the pistol it was embellished after serving in the Army with the addition of silver studs. They are aged with verdigris on the inside and look to have been in place for a long time.
View attachment 445858

View attachment 445874

View attachment 445890

View attachment 445898

View attachment 445906

Funny how as a collector I normally look right past this type of pistol but this one just caught my attention due to being downright cool :D

#8 ·
Thanks guys, my first antique pistol was a New Model Army. I had it up until last year when it found a new home. It was a much later serial # and completely mismatched but it sure looked the part:) I have a fairly nice 4 screw 1860 Army w/holster so I figured I needed a decent Remington example as well.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.