Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The BOCFA states that the heavy barrel was available from 1935 through the early 40's in the .38 cal only. I belive the s/n number is legit as the BOCFA also states that this model was also serialed with the Official Police standard model. Is this variation for real? How uncommon? Fair value?

The seller states:
"EXTREMELY RARE Officers Model Match Heavy Barrel in .32 Colt. This gun was shipped to State Quartermaster Commonwealth of Massachusetts in 1941. I have a factory letter, and the gun is boxed. The gun does not appear to have been fired or carried, but I’ll call it unfired 98% condition as the gun has a scattering of small handling marks. The serial number on the box matches the gun, but please make your own judgment about the originality of the serial number."

·
Registered
502 Posts
Refer to my post of 6 Sept 2006 and scroll down near the end. I have 3 of this model and boxes are also pictured. I think most of these went to the state of Mass. I have letters , all are correct. I would estimate current value, with boxes at $ 1000 - 1200 each. I believe I have seen an estimate of about 800-900 made, could be more. One of my letters states there were 400 like guns in one shipment.

tommix

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill, very sweet collection. The box shown above also has the pasted on 2 that covers up the 8.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I like it! Seeing the revolver and its box is instructional for those of us who don't see pre-war boxed Colts every day. It'd never do for me to own such a revolver as I'd have to give it some range time with carefully prepared .32 wadcutter handloads.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got #656903. No box, and not a safe queen, but ooo-eee, what a joy it is to shoot! And here are photos of #643043 -- before, totally gummed up with packing grease, and after, cleaned up and good as new.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Great revolver and great photographs Michael!

It's like going back in a time machine to see what the inventory of a 1930's gun shop would look like.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I also have a 1940 model .32 OMT w/ the heavy barrel. The "Extremely rare" part of the description probably means that the .32 OMT is rare item itself. Having the original box makes it even more rare. Value could put it in the $1200 to $1500 range.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Here's mine. # 640608, also new in the box. And here's a picture of the page in the 1940 Colt catalog advertising them for $41.50. Opps, make that $41.75 they took a price jump.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys with your photos are killin' me.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Possible inventory of 1930's gunshop, not the best picture but a lot of old prewar boxes (all have the correct guns in them)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Possible inventory of 1930's gunshop, not the best picture but a lot of old prewar boxes (all have the correct guns in them)

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutley stunning.

You've held these boxes/guns for several decades. Have you noticed any box deterioration? Advise on how to perserve a gun box. I keep my boxes inside my gun safe (with my guns) but that atmosphere may be too dry. Humidity (with dry rod) runs 50% +/- inside the safe.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have had these boxed guns for 25-35 years, and have have noted no significant deterioration. They are rarely handled and are closed in the gun safe, don't know the relative humidity. The house AC is on here in Florida from April through most of October, dryness is not a problem here, so the general humidity may be a help. I don't know of any proper way to preserve them, they are all that old acid-containing paper/cardboard, but have lasted this long pretty well...
Bill

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've located a 99% .32 OMT setup that looks like Michaels near perfect gun. It includes the target and all contents. The box is 95%. s/n 643,xxx. Approx. fair value for a loaded setup?

·
Registered
99 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I've located a 99% .32 OMT setup that looks like Michaels near perfect gun. It includes the target and all contents. The box is 95%. s/n 643,xxx. Approx. fair value for a loaded setup?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking about $1200.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would love to buy one at $1200.00 If anyone is a seller, let me know.
Terry

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are these guns to be checkered on the front grip strap?...or checkered only on the rear grip strap?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts