Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Price Check - 60\'s Agent w/ Factory Hammer Shroud?

Gentlemen;
I answered a question about factory hammer shrouds by showing a picture of my wife's Agent with one installed. I said in that post that I would be willing to let it go if a collector needed it so long as I could replace it with a comparable gun for her (that means another 6-shot Colt or S&W snubbie). I have no need to sell it, but will do so for a collector so long as I don't lose anything in the bargain. That means the purchaser will pay for gun, shipping and FFL transfers at each end.
That comment has generated a little interest and I am willing to consider following up on my suggestion. I need to know how to price it, however.
It is an early 60's vintage (SN H63XXX) .38 spl, about 90% (a few carry scars from the Fed who carried it as a BUG before the wife), non-steel frame, enclosed ejector rod, factory hammer shroud (with pony). Good bore, tight lock-up and no end shake, no box, no papers, after market grips (but I know where the originals went and the buyer might be able to chase them down). Theres a picture of the gun in the Shroud thread in the 'Lounge' on this forum.
Once I have a price for it I will place it in the classifieds so everyone who might want it can have an opportunity to see the ad.
Thank you all for your advice and assistance.

Update: Seriel # check shows this to be a 1972 gun. My mistake.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Price Check - 60\'s Agent w/ Factory Hammer Shr

I found prices on GA for DS's that I would buy to replace this Agent. All are in the very high 3's and up. It doesn't look like this would generate enough $$ to meet my goals.
Thanks for helping.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

DS prices on GA are high. The auctions offer a better opportunity, but you have to hit it right. I bought what I consider a 99% 4th issue DS for less than $250 not long ago. Since you don't really have to do anything, just keep your eye out and find a nice replacement first. JMHO /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks. Good suggestion. I'll monitor the auctions and see what develops.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: Price Check - 60\'s Agent w/ Factory Hammer Shroud?

For what it's worth, I just bought a 1972 Agent with factory hammer shroud and original walnut grips at a gun show 3 weeks ago. Cost out-the-door was $327. The gun was in NRA VG condition with minor holster wear. It's the best shooting snubby I've ever owned and has now officially replaced my S&W 638 Bodyguard as my carry weapon.

-Bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That is great information! Its current and specific to my gun: exactly what I needed.
Thank you.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Glad I could help, Bruce. I'm kinda of the opinion that I may have overpaid just a tad for this gun. Most sources indicate this gun is worth $250-300 in VG condition. However, the gun was untouched by Bubba and I wanted the factory hammer shroud. The dealer was asking $350 + tax. I tried negotiating to get the gun for $300 out-the-door, but his final position was $300 + tax + NICS; hence, the final $327 price. This may provide you with a little more info.

-Bob

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Re: Price Check - 60\'s Agent w/ Factory Hammer Shroud?

As a point of interest, unless this Agent has been rebarreled, it cannot be a 1960s vintage if it has the shrouded ejector rod. That feature began in 1972 on the DS and Cobra, and I do not believe it was applied to the Agent until a year later. (I would have to check my catalog collection to be sure.) If it is a Post-1972 gun, that also means it will not have the full frame, but rather the abbreviated frame with the overlapping stocks to make the appropriate butt frame length. I am not sure how much collector interest there would be in a 90% gun that is not of the scarce early full-frame style, but then I just saw a reblued and altered M1911 with the U.S. PROPERTY mark gound off sell for $1500 so anything is possible!

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Went right by me. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The serial puts it at 1974. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Price Check - 70\'s Agent w/ Factory Hammer Shr

Thanks for all the help. There is apparently nothing special about this gun for a collector even with the shroud. Its a great little carry gun: she can keep it in service and I won't have to find her a replacement.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Price Check - 70\'s Agent w/ Factory Hammer Shr

I think you're right on, especially with no end shake and a little history. It might be worth chasing down the stocks for yourselves, just because. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts