Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,528 Posts
I had one like that one in the 120xxx SN range. Its condition was about the same. I traded it off in about 1995 for about the same amount in value. I would think such a gun would be worth at least $12K range these days; maybe $15K.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sweet Colt! For the life of me I can't figure out why Colt doesn't include some of those early features on current production. Small and subtle but the net effect is so much more pleasing.

Please let us see more pics if you acquire it!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I paid $3800 for one that contained an acid etched panel and was nickel, nice walnut grips, 4 3/4" barrel, in the year 2000. Mine was (and is, as I still own it) about 80%. Not sure if the extra 20% is worth double the value, not counting any appreciation from 1992, 25 years ago, until 17 years ago. I want to say the value of this one is in the $12,000 to $15,000 range but, more realistically, it might just crack 10K. I actually have purchased 2 acid etched revolvers, both nickel and with 7 1/2" barrels, one with Type 2 eagle grips, the other with walnut grips, both in 75 to 80% condition; one ran me 5K, the other, $5,200.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Sweet Colt! For the life of me I can't figure out why Colt doesn't include some of those early features on current production. Small and subtle but the net effect is so much more pleasing.
To be honest with you, that's what rips me about new SAA production. Every "feature" was there for a reason. As parts became obsolete or improvements were engineered, the basic composition of the SAA changed. For example, the black frame revolver became improved with the cross pin, the acid etched panel was replaced by more durable roll stamping, the long flute model only came about due to the desire to use up just under 1500 cylinders left over from the discontinued Model 1878. So, too, should current production reflect "that which makes most sense" in today's market. You didn't order your choice of frame, barrel markings, cylinder, etc., back in the day. It seems very artificial. Instead, you want a black frame, etched panel, long fluted gun with a 12" barrel. Yeah, we can do that!

Perhaps I'm too pragmatic, but choices today ought to be the same as back in the day. What barrel length and calibre, what finish, what style grips, and engraved (yes or no) and, if so, what pattern do you want engraved?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Besides condition (which appears extraordinary for a 137 year old gun), a letter or what a letter reveals is a big price driver (did it have one?). Prices can be all over the board until the reality of a gun's history is known. Remember, the price of $7,500 is probably an "asking" price and I wouldn't be surprised if the actual selling price was considerably less - 25 years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts