Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,

I'm looking at a current production, NIB, SAA in .45; It's blue / CC. What is a fair offer for this gun?

Thanks, very much,
C

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Unfortunately there is no fair offer these days for them.....it is what the market will bear based on supply....there is no consistent supply to feed demand so I suspect the seller is asking anywhere from 2300-2600 dollars. Just my back of the envelope calculation.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately there is no fair offer these days for them.....it is what the market will bear based on supply....there is no consistent supply to feed demand so I suspect the seller is asking anywhere from 2300-2600 dollars. Just my back of the envelope calculation.
So, the seller will get pretty much what they ask?
Thanks,
C

·
Registered
562 Posts
No, but they'll get whatever a buyer is willing to pay.

Just based on Guns International, about $1900.00 +/-

But, if you're looking at one in a retail shop that you can hold and examine before buying, that's worth something to me.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

But, if you're looking at one in a retail shop that you can hold and examine before buying, that's worth something to me.
Thank you, sir.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

There is value in seeing the gun and handling it and at 1900 if you cold find one, grab it. I have one that I bought that was a year old when I got it back in 2015. I know that I would not let it go for 1900 because I know that I probably couldn’t find one in person to buy at that price.....maybe on GB or other boards but then I have to run the risk of not seeing the gun in person.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
So, the seller will get pretty much what they ask?
Thanks,
C
Pretty much. NIB really are bringing in high prices. I have seen anywhere from $2000 to $3500! Some folks just go bidding war crazy and lose all sense of rational thought. I do it myself at times. I would say it is possible to get a NIB for around $2000 if you watch really carefully. Less and you are looking at lottery ticket luck there. If you only want a NIB to collect, then that is the way to go. Now if you want something to shoot, this forum's classifieds always has good deals to be had. Especially those early 3rd gen guns. Heck, for $2000 it is possible to get a nice 2nd gen shooter. I did.

·
Registered
37 Posts
From what I've seen, having only been collecting current production, NIB SAA's for the last five years or so, at the moment current "fair" price for a NIB standard production SAA would be $2,000 to $2,300. In the last month I bought the last one I'll ever buy, a cc/blue 7.5" 45 Colt for right at $2,000, after tax, shipping, handling, etc. I found it through GB but didn't get it through GB but through the seller's gun store. He had it listed at both places, up for bid on GB and for sale outright on his store's website at the current Colt retail SAA price of $1799. I had to pay tax because the store is in my state, but it was exactly what I was looking for and they don't come along every day. Serial # is in the S75XXXA range, which means it was probably made in the last year or year and a half. Total crap shoot because the pictures listed were awful but I figured I could always resell it if it turned out to be a dud. It wasn't. It was perfect, I just lucked out. Now, at the same time on GB, there was another SAA listed, the exact same model, cc/blue 7.5" 45, by someone else with serial #S66XXXA" with a starting bid of $1,900 that kept getting relisted because it never sold, week after week, with bids going up to $2,600 but never beyond that. I found that same gun and seller on another auction site and he had that exact SAA listed as "buy it now" for $4,000!!! I think it depends on who's selling it, if they know what they have, if they just want to move merchandise, or it they're looking to retire after one sale, etc. The guy I bought mine from last month had a NIB cc/blue 4.75" 45 S/N S75XXXA listed with the 7.5" that I bought. It was also listed at Colt's current retail. You just have to watch the auctions and be a little creative in how you search for them and look to see if the sellers have those same models listed elsewhere. A year and a half ago I found a NIB cc/blue 4.75" 357 for $1,600 "buy it now" on Gb. Around the same time on GB a NIB cc/blue 7.5" was listed for $1,300. It had sold an hour after I first found it. The only thing worse that the stout market value increase of these things is the obsession so many of us seem to have with them. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The moving merchandise seller is what you have to look for. It will be hard on a brand new SAA, but I found a ANIB colt Special combat last summer, that the shop was just looking to move because his clients didn't buy high end 1911s.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the replies, gents.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I've bought two recent SAAs, one in November and another today, both were $1850 so I paid a slight premium. Spending that kind of money I really like to have the revolver in hand to inspect it which is exactly what I did. A couple of large shops in my area haven't seen a new SAA in a couple years. But a small shop I frequent has had two SAAs in two months so go figure. Both had 5 1/2" barrels and were chambered in 38 Special, one of my favorite calibers though non catalogued. Since my last two were just a little over 100 apart serial number wise makes me wonder how many exactly in Colt producing a month.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts