Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to trade my 3rd issue det spec, made in 1973 in 99% condition for a 6in offical police made in 1956 in .22. grips have the last 4 didgets of serial number penciled on them. in about 85% cond, with wear on muzzle, on one chamber of cylinder(like it was in a holster or laying on it in a drawer) and a lot of wear on the back strap on grip. timing is perfect. good trade, value?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hard to say kennedy,without seeing the guns. Official Police .22s,pre war,would probably bring $600 tops,with box in 99% shape. We will work down from there. This is post war,6" vs. the rarer 4",and the finish issues would turn a "dedicated collector" off. These are great shooters,once you find the most accurate ammo,as you can't "adjust the sights"! So, I would say not over $300,if I was buying the gun outright. I know less about later model Detective Special values,but the ones I have seen on auction sites,are in the $375-425 range in the shape of your gun. My input. Bud

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
going ahead with the trade, this gun talks to be, where the det special(had $325 in it) did not, I do have a 2nd issue det spec from 1953 for my collection so the third issue was extra. these colts from the 50`s just have a beauty about them that just does not compare to the ones from the 70`s(except my 1978 python of course, unless I find one from the 50`s)

·
Registered
794 Posts
The main thing kennedy is that you are happy with the trade. Based on that, it is a good deal for both of you. The assessment that lonewolf gave you, in my opinion couldn't have been said any better.

I happen to like the modern Detective Specials (with shroud) and its variations. For me, my Det Spec's get much more use than my OP 22's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts