Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! New to this forum, first post actually. I am looking into buying a colt python as sort of an investment (a fun investment). I have a friend who is trying to sell his. Can you guys tell me what you think this python is worth? I trust him a lot I just want to make sure i'm making a wise investment.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
It is not stainless it is probably Hard Chrome. Stainless was introduced in 1982 so the 1970 Date of manufacture makes it impossible to be Stainless.

Value would be $1500 in my opinion. The Generation 2 Stocks are worth $200-$250 on their own.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Oh, ok thanks. Ill edit the title then.

Only 1500?! That is surprising based on what he is asking.
The owner probably doesn't know that the gun was re-finished which as Rod said, makes it a non-collectors gun. That significantly hurts the value of the gun. I don't disagree with the others value of the gun. Its not an investment piece, its a shooter.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
When you blow up the pictures there is pitting under the finish on the flutes of the cylinder and I also see some rash out at the end of the barrel on the right side. Its presentable and probably a great shooter but we can't make it something it's not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well the aftermarket refinish is what is hurting this gun....not much collector value left....I agree with KEYSTONE.....YMMV...RR
I am no python expert by any means so excuse my ignorance but how can you tell it's an aftermarket refinish? My friend insists it's not. I will not lie, i do want to buy it from him not only to help him out but because I happen to really like the finish and so that is why I am wanting it to be what it might not be, if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
E nickel finish that does make a gun look like stainless wasn't offered until 1980/81 and stainless guns were not made until 1982.....

Thus this is an after market applied finish....nothing wrong with it just not a factory finish so that holds the price down along with the condition issue KEYSTONE mentions.....

Sometimes they are just what they are....nothing special here just a shooter....RR

·
Registered
75 Posts
but how can you tell it's an aftermarket refinish? My friend insists it's not
Unless he bought it new personally in 1970, I'm not sure what he's talking about. How can he insist it's not a refinish? A number of genuine experts here have concluded it is a (marginal) refinish. I'm not one of those experts, but I do know that your friend likely has no basis for his opinion. Not great news for him, but hopefully he is interested in actually learning about the gun.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I am no python expert by any means so excuse my ignorance but how can you tell it's an aftermarket refinish? My friend insists it's not. I will not lie, i do want to buy it from him to help him out and so that is why I am wanting it to be what it might not be, if that makes sense.
If he is so sure, tell him to get you an expediated letter from Colt telling its story. It will cost $175 and you will know in a few days. Bad news he pays, good news, you pay if you want the gun. If you don't want the gun anyway, why bother?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If he is so sure, tell him to get you an expediated letter from Colt telling its story. It will cost $175 and you will know in a few days. Bad news he pays, good news, you pay if you want the gun. If you don't want the gun anyway, why bother?
I love this as a buyer/seller dispute resolution on factory condition claims. I'm stealing the idea! :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
As far as this python goes, it's 100% refinished and poorly at that. Bad news but the truth. I think it's a $1200 gun

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I love this as a buyer/seller dispute resolution on factory condition claims. I'm stealing the idea! :D
Go ahead!:)

But, realize that I am not suggesting this being used in an auction situation. I would never think a buyer could win an auction, AND THEN, use this on the seller. If you win an auction, it is your responsibility to pay for it. I think it would work best in a FTF deal similar to the OP's situation.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Original nickle finish on a 1970 gun wouldn't be dull. It would be polished and shiny. You have a dull finished gun indicating it was sand blasted to a dull finish then chromed and you have the result. There were only 2 finish options on a Python in 1970, 1-Royal Blue 2- polished Nickle. Hope this helps you understand what people are telling you here. Remember we have nothing to gain or loose by giving you honest opinions. We are not the buyer of this revolver you are and only you will make the choice to buy it. Some times we intend to believe what we want to be true because of our desire to want something badly and intend to not process all the signs and end up regretting our choice later. Food for thought go with your mind and not with your desire. good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts