Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up an Army Special, .38 cal. The gun is in at least 85% with no rust or pits. There is some bluing loss on high points and some thining on barrel. The grips are of hard checkered rubber with the stylized C around the grip screw. The grips show hardly any wear. Based on the Serial Number, 430XXX, the gun was manufactured in 1918.
I collect mostly S&Ws but any 85 plus year old gun in nice shape gets my attention.
I paid $ 250.00 for the gun, maybe a bit to much, but for some reason guns seem to cost a bit more in Florida than other sections of the country. What is the going price of a gun such as this ???
Thanks, Joe

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
joe, i dont think you did too bad. in my experience the army spl seems to bring slightly less than the later offical police model. i think some of the early guns lacked the later and better heat treat of the o/p and hence are less desireable as shooters.i would like to find one in 32-20 just to plink with.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
To collectors who don't plan on shooting them,mint Army Specials will bring more than a later O.P. in the same condition-simply because they are "older".

Agree that you got a good,but not a great deal on yours,especially if the hard rubber grips are as nice as you say(I recently sold a pair for $100),and make sure they are tight,but not too tight when you fire the gun(with standard velocity ,38 Specials-not +P(or these equivalent in reloads).I would almost look for a pair of cheap aftermarket grips,to use when firing the gun,as those old grips can easily break.

The thinner front and rear sights on the Army Special,are not quite as user friendly as the wider sights and stippled top straps on the newer O.P.

Lasy year I sold a nice 32/20 6" Army Special "shooter" that I had for years;front sight had been altered. Got enough for it to buy a nearly mint O.P. 6" 32/20(private sale),that I feel better about shooting with stiff handloads,as well as having $$$ left from the Army Special sale to take my "shewolf" out for the evening.

Army Specials have gone up in value,at least in the eyes of a few collectors(and TOO MANY dealers),as they are viewed as "old Colts". Have seen guns,as you got for $250,recently priced in the $400 range at shows,by "dreamin' dealers"!

BTW; Army Specials and O.P.s in 32/20 and .41 Colt will usually have a premium over the more common .38 Specials.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Administrator
7,305 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

BTW; Army Specials and O.P.s in 32/20 and .41 Colt will usually have a premium over the more common .38 Specials.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bud , remember when you couldn't hardly give a .41 away ? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe:
You bought a pretty clean pre-war Colt .38 for $250 . You can get a lot of shooting fun out of it and if you ever decide to sell it , you won't get hurt . Enjoy /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Mitch,I sure do recall when .41's were going cheap! And I didn't pay much for my old reblued 5".41 Army Special-but I am mostly interested in shooting/reloading this fun old cartridge,

I even built an SAA .41 on an old Great Western frame and action,so I could "experiment" with the .41 Long Colt,in a stronger gun then the Army Special.

A few O.P.s were made in .41 Colt(the O.P. took the A.S.place in the late 20's and the .41 chambering left the E frame line in 1930-31.) I once passed on a matched pair of 6" O.P.s,one a .22 and the other a .41,with jigged bone stocks. Talked myself out of them because;a) already had a nice 6" .22 O.P.(still have it) b) .41 ammo was going for $35 a box-and I hadn't started to reload for it c)the $750 price for BOTH guns was just too much,as I also wanted a 4" pre 24 S&W 1950 target,which I bought for $650. This was in 1989-90. Should've taken some $$$ out of savings,but daughter was in college then.

Oh well!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
32 Posts
In a suburb of Ft Walton Beach two years ago I bought an Army Special in .32-20 for $350. S#491XXX mfg in 1923. It has an excellent finish(for 1923) and is one of my favorite pieces. For here, the price was very reasonable. It is a pleasure to shoot. The trigger is...is...well...Colt. What else can I say. yashua

1 - 6 of 6 Posts