Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Python Target w/ 8' BBL at a gunshow Sunday. Never had a Colt before but I fell in love with it. Smoooth. I paid $700 for it. Good deal or bad deal I love the gun. But I'm still courious about it.Appreciate any help on the value.
Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry bout that. The condition is about 95%. Real nice. Do you have any idea what a blllpark figure on this gun would be? Until I saw this gun I did not even know that a Python could be had in a .38. All I knew about a Python was that they were expensive and beautiful.
Bob

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
From what I've seen around me, the few 8" .38sp models would sell for less than the .357mag models. Most people would hand it back to the dealer when they see what it is chambered for.
There is not a lot of them out there. I personally passed on one 10 years ago for $500 only because the long barrel just don't appeal to me. I think what you paid is a fair price for one. Would be a better deal if you got the box and goodies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Majic. No goodies, just a good shooter. Good bad or otherwise deal it surt shoots. This is our first Colt and it may not be the last. Thanks for the info. Those poor people passing the .38's up dont know what they are missing.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The Colt Python Target is just now being recognized as a rare Colt Pony Gun... Check out GA and GB as we speak, there is one going for 1,000 and one for 1,325 thus making your 700 buy a steal. I am not sure how many of these were produced or the time range, however, they are surely a drop in the bucket... There were many Colts that were short production runs for one reason or another, which is good in your case. It should continue to rise in value with collectors now seeking them out...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Bob,

If I may offer another 2 cents, I should have offered (not simply to you but all Python fans) a reference to the following site/URL...
(http://www.gunweek.com/2004/feature0620.html) of which (in-part states the following...

Over the years, the Python has been offered with barrel lengths ranging from 2.5 to 8 inches, with the most common being guns with 4" and 6" inch tubes. For a short while, there was a 3" inch Python, and there are some rare models chambered in .38 Special, made in blue steel only with the 8-inch bore that are true collector's items¬Ö

In addition, I know for a fact that there were an extreamly few offered in Nickel as well...

What more can I say!!! Hang on to it!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts