Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple of NIB Colt DAs that I need some help on values for. One is circa 1994 2" Det Spec blue, the other is circa 1998 3" Det Spec stainless. Is the 3" tuff to find in this model? What do you think a willing buyer would pay for these in the store? Your help is appreciated!!

------------------
If God had not intended us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
stiab: According to the 1994 catalog the 2" Det. Spec. sold for $384.00 back then, and I would suspect that it's still worth about that today. I saw one, and I am still negotiating for it, in a pawn shop and the guy wants $399. I think I can get it a little better than that. Now the "circa 1998 Det. Spec. stainless", I haven't a clue, as it is not listed in any info I have, but I'll keep looking. If I find anything, I'll post later unless some one else has an idea. dia.........

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Diamonback68, I appreciate your help!

------------------
If God had not intended us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The 3 incher is probably a SF-VI. NIB lists for around $400. They were more common in 2" and some 4" were made. The 3" may be somewhat rare, but the whole series were never produced very long before Colt stopped production .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clarification: The 3" is marked DS-II for Detective Special II. These are the only two Colts I own among several S&W, and am I not very familiar with the Colts, although I sure do like these. Not sure whether the greatest value on these is to trade 'em or shoot 'em or keep 'em NIB as is. I appreciate you insight!!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
I can't offer any definitive dollar value, but Colt DS-II's are going for increasingly higher prices.
Seems both shooters and collectors have discovered the low production numbers on these.

The DS-II with a 3" barrel is going to go for a VERY nice price, since there was extremely low production of these.

Of course any NIB Colt snub is going to have increasing values.

I'd be very tempted to "sit on" the DS-II for a few years and see just how high the price goes, and I'd probably keep both in NIB condition.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My Opinion Only as it would apply to me...if they were mine and I decided to keep them they would not be shooters...I don't think...hmmm, or would they...well maybe try them out just a little.

That would be the prediciment I would place myself in if I was the owner of that fine looking pair. I would have to try to think about something else.

------------------
C&L

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wouldn't sell a NIB Colt right now unless I couldn't make the mortgage payment. With the worst unemployment in years, it's a buyer's market right now so I think you'll see prices skyrocket once the economy gets fully back on track. Now is the time to BUY, not sell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts