Colt Forum banner

Price check please: PPS in .22

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  WS23 
#1 ·
Any thoughts as to current value of a Colt PPS 6 inch in .22 LR?

RMV

#2 ·
Do you mean a Police Positive TARGET in .22 lr.??? No Police Positive Specials were ever made in .22lr,3" Cobra being the closest on the longer "special" frame/cylinder.

A very few rare .22 Police Positives with 4"bbls.and FIXED sights were made.

Make sure that if the gun is one of the 6" targets,and its "shooter grade",that it is in .22lr. NOT .22WRF,as the later ammo is nearly impossible to buy at shooter prices.

Bud

#3 ·
I'm sure RMV would know the difference between a PPS and a PPT.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lonewolf:
Do you mean a Police Positive TARGET in .22 lr.??? No Police Positive Specials were ever made in .22lr,3" Cobra being the closest on the longer "special" frame/cylinder.

A very few rare .22 Police Positives with 4"bbls.and FIXED sights were made.

Make sure that if the gun is one of the 6" targets,and its "shooter grade",that it is in .22lr. NOT .22WRF,as the later ammo is nearly impossible to buy at shooter prices.

Bud
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

#4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ira Paine:

I'm sure RMV would know the difference between a PPS and a PPT.
IP

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you on this one Bud. I'm not sure he knows what he has, other wise he wouldn't be asking.

If there were such a thing as a factory PPS in 22LR with a 6" barrel, his gusess to value is as good as anyone's.

#5 ·
I only said I was sure RMV knew the difference between a PPS and a PPT because he has been dealing in Colts and S&W for more that a few years now. Don't believe everything you read in some of the books out there and Never say Never.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WS23:
I'm with you on this one Bud. I'm not sure he knows what he has, other wise he wouldn't be asking.

If there were such a thing as a factory PPS in 22LR with a 6" barrel, his gusess to value is as good as anyone's.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

#6 ·
Ira, I apologize if I may have come across as gruff. My comment was not intended that way, nor directed at you. What ever he has, I'm not sure any of us can identify with the scant info provided. A PPS 6" in 22LR would be quite an item if it were real. We now have 3 people saying they don't believe they exist.

A S/N might help to provide more info into the identity of the gun. Maybe as 22-rimfire hints, it is actually an OP. The S/N might help to determine same.

As a seller, surely Mr. Vivas has his own little Wilson book of S/N's as well as reference documentation. Certainly he is familiar with determining value from auction sites, pricing guides, gun shows, and such. He also has the ability to post photo's. So he certainly knows more about this gun than what was provided. Perhaps we should wait for him to tell us just what he has?

#7 ·
The (misplaced) faith you guys have in me is overwhelming. Would that i could actually live up to my billing!!!!

I could find no info on a .22 PPS. The seller had called me and swore up and down he had a PPS in .22.

I finally got back (260 mile round trip!) and it is a POLICE POSITIVE .22 in 6 inch with adjustable sights. Aside from a few small freckles on the cylinder, the gun (which is s/n 35070) rates about %95-97.

The greatest problem for any gun dealer (or collector) is those folks who want a diagnosis over the phone. I ask them to read whats on the gun and they screw it up; I drive all morning and it turns out to be something entirely different than what they describe. Oh well, part of 'the game' I suppose.

I'll post a picture of what kind of Colt $32 worth of gasoline gets me to.

Thanks for the input.

RMV

#9 ·
WS23,
No apology necessary, 22-rimfire used the word, "cataloged", way to many times guys will say so and so "never" made such a thing, of course if they mean never cataloged they may be right, but it is a fact that factory's make "special" runs of maybe 10 or less guns, or maybe more, of course they would not be cataloged, but just because it's not in some book or catalog does not mean that Colt or a gun factory did not make it.

I came across something very similar to this with Ruger, a # 1 Single Shot in 300 H&H Mag, it was never cataloged, it looked right, so a call to Ruger with the serial number got the answer, oh yes, we made about 70 of them in that caliber, sent them out, and never made any more of them. I've run into the same thing with Colt and S&W, again, just because it's not in some catalog or book don't think it doesn't exist. These are some of the rarest guns to be found, RMV did the right thing, check it out, it may be very worthwhile, and I still say after about 50 years of doing things like this,
Never say Never.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 22-rimfire:
I love it. You know, I probably would have driven all those miles too. At $2.00+ gasoline, that really s#%ks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.