Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am about to take over my dad's pretty nice Colt Collection of about 65 pieces, mostly dating from 1855 to 1945. He bought those guns during the last 30 years and basically has no record about the worth of the collection.

Does anybody know a good online resource or book, that has an overview about the market for colt revolvers and their price development?

Thanks for your help,

Fabian

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
Does anybody know a good online resource or book, that has an overview about the market for colt revolvers and their price development?
What is "price development?" Do you mean a long-term price increase history? What value would that have to current values? Purchase prices of thirty years ago are irrelevant to current values, so the lack of those records is not important, unless you plan to sell the collection and need a basis for reporting the capital gain for income tax purposes. Is that it?

"Good" is a relative term. The always unreliable "Blue Book" can be of some help in relative terms, but is usually underpriced in the more valuable Colts. Closed "Sold" auctions on GunBroker will be the best guide to current values.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is "price development?" Do you mean a long-term price increase history? What value would that have to current values? Purchase prices of thirty years ago are irrelevant to current values, so the lack of those records is not important, unless you plan to sell the collection and need a basis for reporting the capital gain for income tax purposes. Is that it?

"Good" is a relative term. The always unreliable "Blue Book" can be of some help in relative terms, but is usually underpriced in the more valuable Colts. Closed "Sold" auctions on GunBroker will be the best guide to current values.
We don't plan to sell, however we need to see what the current value would be for insurance and just to get an idea of the worth of the collection, just in case someone would be interested to buy or we plan to buy from somebody. Values of the past are only interesting in terms of the development over the years, however it is obvious that current market value is what I am looking for. I thought there is something out there for Colt's, just as there is for collector's cars etc...thanks for your insight on Blue Book - I've been to GunBroker before; if you say that's a good source, then I will check out our guns there. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would not go by blue book, it can be really far off up or down. I would go by what real market value is in today's market. For example last time I looked up a colt king cobra it was 700 bucks at 100 percent. Any of the ones I have seen recently at gun shows they want twice that amount for used. From what I have found the older 1800s era colts seem to be the opposite book for thousands and get maybe a grand depending on who you find.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If it's for tax purposes, definitely use the Blue Book.....:)
Gunbroker is a good guideline but only if you consider an average of several recent sales for comparable guns, Just one outrageous price from a testosterone fed bidding war, on one gun, is not a valid market trend. Also, condition of each piece can have a tremendous effect on price. Unless you have the expertise to evaluate them, your best bet is to locate an experienced collector, or appraiser, and have a hands on evaluation. Be careful with dealers and/or the wheeler dealers who want to throw out lowball prices in hopes of making some quick bucks off your lack of pricing knowledge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.