Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Price for Early AR 15 SP-1 (1960\'s)

I've been looking for an early AR 15 SP-1 (1964-1968 vintage) with the three prong flash, solid rubber butt plate (not trap door), traingle hand guard and non-serrated bolt. I found one a few weeks ago at gun show and the asking price was $2400! Is this the going rate for an early SP-1? I see early to mid 70's SP-1's going for about $1200. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Re: Price for Early AR 15 SP-1 (1960\'s)

How early is early? If you get a two or three digit gun, the price will be very high. Low four digit guns will be less, but some will be at the level quoted, depending on the serial number, condition and accouterments. For instance, a "Comanche" manual, printed before the "Sporter" name was adopted, can bring $500 by itself. An early box is worth hundreds as well.

If you want an early gun, grit your teeth and buy what you can find. You will not get many chances.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Price for Early AR 15 SP-1 (1960\'s)

Thanks for the info. I have only run accross a few in the past five years, so I better be prepared to pay the price. The last one at $2400 caught me off guard. The hunt continues...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts