Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a Detective Special, shrouded barrel (last version?, didn't write down the serial #), Pachmyer grip, has the hammer bobbed (very well done btw) and modified for double action only. There is just the slightest wear of the finish on the end of the barrel. Mechanically seems right. What would be a fair price for this gun? I'd use it as a carry/range gun. I've seen pristine examples go about $400-$450 in my area.

Thanks for any and all insight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
22-rimfire, After re-reading my post I should've been more concise. The price on the gun is $350 & since it's in a shop there will be tax (roughly 8%) so that will bring it to $378. Right now the store is saying the price is firm so I'm leaning towards letting it sit. But I'm not the most well informed when it comes to the prices on these revolvers. If it was stock I would definitely grab it. The work, while appearing good, is of unknown quality as there is no information on who performed the modifications. Thanks again.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Doc, with the modifications it has , I feel that is too much. A friend got one off one of the auction sites not long ago, and it was very nice ,better than average shape and he paid only $249 for it ,shipped from PA to here in Ohio. Caries it all the time and it shoots great , both double and single action.
Yes, in NICE shape they tend to run higher and if mint, in the box, then we get to that $400 plus mark.............

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dant, thank you very much for your insight. Since the shop is open both Saturday and Sunday I'll try and get in one of those days and take a closer look.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I wasn't trying to be smart. I suspected somewhere in the $350 range would be the asking price. If you can get it for $250, I'd be all over it (if I wanted it). I honestly doubt the dealer will go that low on a Colt when the price has been rising on most models. (I realize this gun is not factory original anymore.)

A local dealer had a DS (as new) and held firm at $400. I opted not to pursue it at that price. That was in the spring and eventually it sold.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
22, Sorry if I came across unpleasant, not my intention at all. I just realized that I should've been more clear. No worries, as my teenage son likes to say /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I've always liked the DS and if this one sits for a bit or I show up with some money in hand maybe they'll be a little more flexible. I'd like to also take the grips off and check the frame for rust/or who knows what?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Do the grips actually have the Pachmayr medallion or a Colt medallion? Do you know the serial range? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grips have the Colt medallion in gold color. Hope to go look at it again on Sunday to check serial # and the condition of the frame under the grips.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
You might also check to see if it has a night sight in the front sight blade (actual tritium dot/rod, not an orange plastic dovetail kit job). If so, it would likely be a model D1425BB, with a factory bobbed hammer and tuned action and would be "worth" more than the asking price. Here is one on auction in hard chrome if you care to compare the hammer contour.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=54664055 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Short update. It's still there, saw it on the 26th. Not the special edition w/tritium in the front sight. We removed the grips, the frame looks good underneath, no rust but a few scratches. The screw on the right side under the cylinder is buggered up pretty good, perhaps during whatever work was done to make it dao? Feels like it needs a tear down and a really good cleaning, lots of gritty feel to the action. It appears it spent lots of it's life riding in a holster or pocket.

I have another deal in the works that should either fly or not today so that will determine if I take it.

Thanks for the great info, I truly appreciate it.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The screw on the right side under the cylinder is buggered up pretty good, perhaps during whatever work was done to make it dao? Feels like it needs a tear down and a really good cleaning, lots of gritty feel to the action.

[/ QUOTE ] i would be wary of anything modified by someone who lacks the basic tools to dissasemble, i.e. correct screwdrivers. just my opinion, but that coupled with the gritty feel to the action almost yells home gunsmithing project.i would mention this to the seller and request a return period of suficent time to examine the internals. again just my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
icdux1, you've been reading my mind! Yeah, if the answer is "no" then a big pass on this one. Thanks to all for the great info & suggestions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts