Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Price on Detective Special 3\" Only fired 3 rounds.

<font color="red"> </font> Post corrected.

The exclusive octogenarian owner of this revolver bought it new in Lexington, Tennessee, by his recollection in the 1950s. Since is was manufactured in 1972, his memory slipped a bit; and the price he paid - $100 sales tax included – is consistent with early 1970s pricing, before the onset of drastic inflation. The revolver’s detractions are as follows. There is about an 100 degree area of the muzzle front with white showing. The unblued and therefore unprotected white steel hammer sides have about 30 percent spottiness on either side. There is one tiny area of white on the forward cylinder flute near two of the edges. Cylinder is lightly and narrowly marked. About 20 percent of the checkering on the rear right grip panel has its raised areas slightly flattened. The box is original, but someone has removed the red insert area. All of this is visible in the photos.

Strengths vastly oughtweigh detractions. Fully 95 to 98 percent of the original blue remains. Bore and cylinder chambers are excellent. Revolver is excellent mechanically, no screw stressing, full bright blue on the trigger and hammer upper and lower. Since the 3 inch versions of Smiths and Colts were not as popular as the 2 inchers, they are naturally scarcer. Revolver has been fired fewer than 20 times. Own this excellent Detective Special, serial number B102xx, part of Colt’s sideline production during the Vietnam War, for only

This is the gun I was talking about, It belongs to a friend of mine who is a FFL and a open store.

Here is his link.(http://www.robertsontradingpost.com/colt.htm) He has several guns on his site and will work on prices if he can. Sorry about the wrong description in my first post.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Re: Price on Police Positive 3\" Only fired 3 rounds.

I'd guess around $350to $400 in my neck of the woods. I don't recall seeing a 3 inch Police Positive special. Could it be a 4 incher?

·
Registered
904 Posts

I paid $290 recently for an 85% Colt Detective Special 3" with a 1972 serial. Except for grips and barrel markings that would be "exactly" the same gun.

So looking at the proportions, does that 3" barrel description still seem right?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

That was my question. I haven't seen a PPS with a 3 inch barrel.
I own a 3 inch detective myself and as an obsessed collector of d drames am always looking for another one.

·
Registered
904 Posts

Yes, so now I've included a photo of mine for comparison.

I'd like to have a 4" 1972 PPS...

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Looks good. Mine is the later model with a shrouded ejector.
I still haven't ever seen a PPS with a 3 inch barrel. Did they make such a beast?

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Re: Price on Detective Sp 3\" Only fired 3 round

[ QUOTE ]
btt

[/ QUOTE ]
You have further questions ? What is your friend asking for it ?

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
btt

[/ QUOTE ]
You bumped the thread so I assumed you had further questions /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Based on your description , it's a $350-450 kind of gun here in Ohio .

·
Registered
904 Posts

I'd imagine that it would get $350-400 in a shop here in VA. On the web, it might find a flush fellow who'll pay $600 but it won't be me.

I think it is interesting that the hammer on my gun, made the same year and with the same barrel length, is clearly blued and was not left in the white.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: Price on Detective Special 3\" Only fired 3 rou

I normally don't respond to the what's it worth type questions. But in this case I have to take exception with some of the values given. $300 to $350 is low. I agree that $599 is high for a 95% gun. If I had to draw a line in the sand, I'd say that anything below $450 for a near mint gun is a good deal. At $300 to $350, I'd buy every one.

To some all we are talking about here is a simple Detective Special in an average every day (and out dated) caliber of 38 Special. However, factor in the barrel length of 3" and now you have the kicker to help determine its real value.

To some, 2" or 3", who really cares, it's just a detective Special. But to others the barrel length makes all the difference in the world. Just ask the Anaconda 45 Colt guys with their 4" or the Python guys with their 3" etc, etc.

The Detective Special 38 in 3" is a special gun, and as such will bring a special price. The Detective Special 3" in 22 is even more special.

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
But in this case I have to take exception ...

WS23
I don't see any $300 quotes ?

95-98% is a pretty wide spred . All members responding are entitled to an opinion based on their experiences . I guess it's up to the thread starter to sort it out .?

[ QUOTE ]
Strengths vastly oughtweigh detractions. Fully 95 to 98 percent of the original blue remains. Bore and cylinder chambers are excellent. Revolver is excellent mechanically, no screw stressing, full bright blue on the trigger and hammer upper and lower. Since the 3 inch versions of Smiths and Colts were not as popular as the 2 inchers, they are naturally scarcer. Revolver has been fired fewer than 20 times. Own this excellent Detective Special, serial number B102xx, part of Colt’s sideline production during the Vietnam War, for only ...

[/ QUOTE ]

It reads like he's selling it , which would explain why he bumped his thread and ignored my questioning of it . I read it again and don't find any questions/opinions asked . It reads like it belongs in the "Classifieds" forum area . Am I missing something ?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: But in this case I have to take exception ...

To be clear guy sajer I did not assess this gun at 95%-98%. The poster's comments did. I hope you weren't trying to pass credit for that to me.

I didn't realize I was "quoting" a value or a person. I indicated what I thought was too low a range that encompassed some of the low estimates ($350) already provided. Anything below the $300 mark could be considered larceny!

I'm still not sure what your point to me was supposed to mean. If it was to point out that no one used the $300 number, then you were absolutely correct. My bad.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lets just move on please.

When I first posted this thread I was really wanting to know its how much this gun is worth. When I found out I had the wrong description I corrected it.

Im sorry if it caused any confusion. The gun is for sale at the website I posted. It is not my gun but it does belong to a friend of mine.

I was thinking about trading him out of it but I traded for a Smith Wesson 29-2.

I do know his prices are flexible if anyone is interested. He has some more colts on his site. I get NOTHING if you buy from him.

Thanks
Tim

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Re: Lets just move on please.

Sorry for the confusion Tim . The wording and later "btt" makes it appear to be a for sale ad . Must have lost something in the edit .

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts

Not trying to pass anything . I'm only pointing out that we all have opinions . You appeared to take offense that some member's opinions of the value didn't agree with yours . I was only stating that we all are permitted to give opinions . Of course you're more than welcome to disagree . All opinions are welcome /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My name's Mitch . Sorry for the screen name confusion .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Look gentlemen, Im ok I didn't and wouldn't take offense at anyones opinion. That's what I ask for. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
... That's what I ask for. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the way I originally read it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 22 Posts