Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend in my gunclub who has a 6" Diamondback .22 with Custom Shop Factory Class A engraving...Serial# R-49xxx....in factory case.
He wants to sell the gun, and I have no idea how to price an engraved revolver.
I assume that Class A engraving (there is a Custom Shop tag in the box) is the least engraving (there is not FULL coverage). I like the gun, and want to make a fair offer.
Terry

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hi Terry,
Engraved gun pricing tends to be very hard to nail down.
As far as the gun itself, the 22 6 inch D-back's tend to be in the $1000 range new in box. You didn't mention if the gun is new unfired, or if there's any wear showing from use.
When you say in factory case, are we talking about a Colt wood display case ? That's a bonus. The good news is that it's factory engraved as that will add value for sure.
Now, the problem is establishing that value.
I recently talked to the custom shop about their engraving & pricing and NONE of it was cheap. I can't find that paperwork at this time.
Did the owner give you any idea of what he wanted for the gun ?

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff,
The gun is new in the box....There appears to be a VERY FAINT indication that the cylinder was turned at some time...almost invisible.....all else is perfect.
The box is a rust colored leatherette with lining marked "Colt Patent Firearms" and a tag from the Custom Shop indicating Serial# and Class A engraving....
My pal paid $1000 for the gun about 10-15 years ago, while out west, and expects more for it than he paid...other than that, I don't know...
My take was that a Class A engraved gun was less desireable for a collector that wants engraving (less of it) and probably too expensive for someone who wants a nice Diamondback......
Truthfully, since I am mostly a S&W guy, although I have 20 or so Colts, I was surprised that a Diamondback .22 brings $1000. The early K-22's are out there for less and the Colt is a later gun. The designation on the label is Model D5160A.....I love the fact that it is a Python on a smaller frame (D frame) and it fits in my hand....I guess, if I bought it, I shouldn't fire it, but then again, I might.....
Case in point: ( I had a Bicentennial Set of Colt revolvers that had, what I thought was the most attractive Python I had ever seen...an unfluted cylinder with the beautiful engraving...the urge to take that to the range toyed with me for 15 years...I sold it before I shot it and, if you consider inflation, lost a bunch of money....should have kept the Python and shot the hell out of it...the SAA would have been salable to ANY cowboy shooter and the Dragoon to a cowboy BP shooter.)

Anyway....I hope I have answered your questions. I have the additonal information from the label (if needed)..... I wish I could post photos, but I don't have the gun...If needed, I can always ask him to lend it to me for photographs to use for the sale....
If I do buy it, I need a price that would assure me the ability to resell it without a loss (preferably with some gain).
Terry

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I wish I could give you a reasonable range for the value. The factory engraving makes for difficult valuation. I have a "D" engraved one and I would not take $5,000 for it. "A" engraving is the least coverage as you know. They really are pretty. I would start at about 2-3x the as-new price for that Diamondback and test the waters. It was essentially purchased at about that ratio 10-15 years ago relative to what other Diamondbacks were selling for at that time ($500-$600 range). It may be worth as much as I suggest based on recent Diamondback prices. The engraving is factory which makes it considerably more valuable. I assume this is a blue revolver, right? This isn't one of those case hardened ones sold by Cherry's, right?

One significant factor is that the engraving was done by the Custom Shop prior to the gun being retailed the first time. Correct me if I'm wrong. So, it would letter as an engraved gun. This is a rare and special Diamondback.

Added: I had the opportunity to buy a 6" NIB Nickel Diamondback 22 with D engraving by Colt at the same time I bought the blue one.... at the same price.... I still kick myself for not letting go of the funds then. At $2000-$2500, I'd snap it up; more....I would think about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts