Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to Colt ownership and wanting to obtain additional specimens I am taken aback by the prices being asked and apparently obtained for what appear to be standard issue ie not performance center products. I understand they are not being manufactured any longer however there must be more to it to explain the prices. I am all for the free market I just would like to understand what the market factors are that set the price.
When standard grips bring $ 200.00+ routinely I wonder what is it I dont understand. Is there a question here maybe not just looking for some thoughts as to what factors set the pricing.

As I am looking for a 4" Anaconda with original box I will shoot, not as a safe queen or speculative investment what should i expect to pay to own one

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
prices reflect what the market will bear, as an example i would like a 4in anaconda myself in .45 colt as would most members here, even the ones that already own 1 or maybe even 2. with that kind of demand and no further production you have a classic example.i would guess it`s gonna cost one of us 600+, you want box and docs better add at least 100. not much good news but maybe this will explain things. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
i would guess it`s gonna cost one of us 600+, you want box and docs better add at least 100. not much good news but maybe this will explain things. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess a little higher than that.
I'm a pretty good guesser.
I would think a like new 4 inch 44 mags gonna run around $700-$800 with out the box and manual.
I would be willing to bet you won't find the 4 inch tubed 45 LC in Minty shape for less than a Grand.
New in box versions are bringing in the $1200-$1500 range on the auction sites.
Good luck on both of your hunts.
Don't get me wrong, they are out there. But then again the prices are out there as well.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am seeing those prices and my question is why ? I assume Colt built quite a few Python's and Anaconda's over the years , why the apparent high demand, when there should be a plentiful supply?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
The supply is not an increasing quantity, it is fixed and it is in the hands of owners, not the factory who has to turn inventory to stay in business. The demand has increased because those who would have them realize that their need must be met from a fixed supply. All of those previously produced are not even "on the market" as many current owners choose to keep theirs at least until they just can't resist an offer from "the market". That does not provide a "plentiful" supply to even satisfy normal demand, much less an increased one. Economics 101. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
As has been said, prices for Colts are affected by demand for a fixed amount of product. Colt has stopped making revolvers. You mentioned Preformance Center which is a Smith thing. The comparative Colt would be a Python which has been considered the top of the line 357 revolver. The Pythons are hand fitted and tuned. Smoothest revolver made since WWII. It is also one of the most accurate as well.

After you get past the sticker shock and start to look at specific models such as the Anaconda, the market is affected by real and perceived rarity as well as quality of manufacture. The 4" Anaconda is less common that the 6". Same applies to the 45 vs 44 mag Anaconda with the 44 being the more common. Anacondas are fine revolvers!!

Of late, the Diamondbacks have really garnered a lot of attention in the marketplace and the price has been going up accordingly. There were a lot of Diamondbacks made with the 4" 38spl being the most common. The 22LR version of the Diamondback is also very popular and like the 4" 38spl, the 4" Blue Diamondback is the most common, but still highly sought after. In general the 22's are less common than the 38 spls and you will generally see a higher price on the 22's relative to the 38's. Diamondbacks are probably my favorite Colt revolver. They are not Pythons in terms of fitting, but they are accurate and balance nicely.

Hope this helps. It may not explain the climb in prices in the last year or two though.

I personally prefer Colts to Smith revolvers. But I do buy Smiths also. Most of my Smith's are shooters although I have a few tucked away for a rainy day.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
When standard grips bring $ 200.00+ routinely I wonder what is it I dont understand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Look at the diamond Magnas, diamond Targets, and the Cokes from S&W. They bring from $150 to $350+ these days. Several years ago I used to buy N-frame Combat stocks (the 1980's version) for $50 brand new. Today they are $80 used and $100+ new when you can find them. A lot of sellers know what they have and know supplies are limited so they are controlling the market.
If you are looking for a shooter grade Anaconda then why must it have the original box? That will most likely add to the price.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
It is simple economics. Supply and demand. What you do not know is why something is in demand. Often I do not either, and I have been doing this for forty years. I can understand something like a Shooting Master bringing several thousand dollars because it was the top of the line and made in very small numbers during the "golden age of gun making." (The 1930s.) However, something like a Boa bringing the same money is hard for me to understand from a quality standpoint, but not from a supply and demand standpoint. Boas do not appeal to me, but the supply is very limited and the demand is high, which equals high prices.

You mention "standard grips" bringing $200+. (If you are new to Colts, you should know that we Colt snobs, and Colt, call them "stocks.") They may be "standard" in that they were standard factory stocks, but, because so many factory stocks were replaced by aftermarket stocks, and the guns on which they were used are now collector items, those trying to return a particular gun to original condition will pay a lot to be able to do so. After all, early Pythons were not made in great numbers, so the gold medallion full-checkered stocks that came on them, which are now about 50 years old, will often bring $300+. That is not so bad on an early Python that may be worth $1500 and up. A lot of silver medallion full-checkered Officers Model and Trooper target stocks are being reborn with gold medallions and are being sold as Python stocks. When prices get high, the water gets deeper and the sharks get bigger.

Your attempt to find a 4-inch Anaconda will illustrate the law of supply and demand that governs all such transactions. If you really want one, buy now as they will not get any less expensive, unless Colt starts making them again, which seems very unlikely. Even if Colt were to start making them again, they would not be the "original" ones and the original ones will still be worth more.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Right now, I would pay around $1,250.00 for a 99% 4" 45 Colt Anaconda with no box, and consider myself lucky. Around here 44 magnum Anacondas go for $750.00 to $900.00.

I have a 6" ultimate stainless 45 Anaconda I would not part with period, because I would never find another in this finish and condition. They are a neat, hefty revolver that balance well, and feel great in the hand. I'm a 45 long colt fancier anyway. For my money, if it was the only heavy revolver caliber available, I'd be happy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Being an Anaconda collector I have been tracking prices for a while now.I have high and low prices for all NIB guns,high and low for 99% with and 99% without the box or case and the average price for all the above.My research is from almost 2 years of auction prices.As I have said before the bargin in Colts now are 6" Anacondas and the King Cobras.All the other ones are already at collector price levels.I must also say the 45LC 4" Anaconda is already there also.The 4"guns are 200 - 300 higher than the 6" guns in NIB condition.The 45 LC that Robba has in Ultimate Stainless is virtually untouchable.They are simply none available.If anyone needs infor on the Anacondas feel free to email me with questions and I will try to give you all the help I can.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you want to make yourself sick about Anacondas then back up 15 years or so. I could get them brand new for around $500 or so. About a year after the .45 model came out I was in a local store and they had a pair of LNIBs .44 and .45 that I could get for dirt cheap as the .44s had a slight problem when they first came out and the .45s just flat didn't sell. I could have bought both for $700, but not being much of a .44mag fan I just bought the .45 for just under $400. When the 4 inchers came out I heard many say they were just to big and chunky and they sat in gun store's display cases gathering dust. Fast forward to today and I can't find them in gun stores. One store owner told me he took one in on trade and laid it on the counter behind him. Before the owner could finish filling out the paperwork on his new gun 2 people made offers to buy the Anaconda. That revolver never made it to the display case.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I ran across a 4" .45 at a show not too long ago, 95% with box. He wanted 850.00 for it, but I had to pass. I wanted it, but the condition wasn't quite up to my liking. I kinda kick myself a little, but I know that I will own one someday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to make yourself sick about Anacondas then back up 15 years or so.

[/ QUOTE ] Funny thing is that here in The Netherlands revolvers are seriously out of fashion, so Colts can be bought for very little money.
I know a few dealers that have Pythons for about 400-500 euros and a Anaconda in .45LC with a 6" barrel is yours for 400.

Look and cry:
http://www.wapenhandelkuiper.nl/test/revolvers.php?lang=nl

·
Registered
778 Posts
Saw a 6" 44 magnum Anaconda today in one of our gun shops for $699.00. It was satin finish, and had a turn line, so it had been shot some. That must be the most common configuration of the Anaconda.

Still looking for the 4" 45.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Robba:
They are out there as I have passed up a couple lately in the 1300 range of course NIC.Funny you never seen this gun in used condition.I guess everyone who bought them put them up.As for going back 15 years.I bought a pair of 6" guns both NIB one 44 and one 45 for 600.00 at a gun show.Oh how the times have changed.I also paid about .79 cents for gas to that show.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Ok Ok... let's get this over with.
Here's your prices of gas & postage stamps from decade to decade. With misc crap tossed in for good measure.

The price of 1st class postage stamp in 1960 was .04
The price of one gallon of regular gas in 1960 was .31
One famous movie that was released in 1960 "The Magnificent Seven" FYI: also the same year "Psycho" was released.
President at that time was Ike

The price of 1st class postage stamp in 1970 was .06
The price of one gallon of regular gas in 1970 was .36
One famous movie that was released in 1970 was "MASH"
President at that time was Nixon

The price of 1st class postage stamp in 1980 was .15
The price of one gallon of regular gas in 1980 was 1.25
One famous movie that was released in 1980 was "Caddyshack"
President at that time was Carter

The price of 1st class postage stamp in 1990 was .25
The price of one gallon of regular gas in 1990 was 1.16
One famous movie that was released in 1990 was "Home Alone" it grossed over $285 million
President at that time was Bush

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jeff:
Point well said.I will be willing to bet that the prices do not go down.Buy what you want or like and pay what you want to pay for it.It is all relative.If I want it,can afford it(Maybe)I will have it.Being single with no family responsibilities I have a little different outlook than most.Its just me and I can call the shots with only me to report to.That sometimes makes a big diference in what someone can or will pay for a gun.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Saw a 6" .45 LC in 90% no box. $700 too much? I paid $675 for a 6" .44 in about 90% also. How many .45's were made in comparison to the .44's?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts