Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am at a loss.How wuld one actually price a Colt Factory engraved gun.I realize there are Class A -D guns but I would appreciate all input as to what you experts think.I have a pretty nice collection of Diamondbacks and an am thinking about starting to get some of the other Doulbe action guns that are factory engraved.Does anyone have a list of Colt engravers and did they sign or mark the guns they engraved.I know this is like getting in the art market so I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have a factory Blue D-engraved (that is full coverage) 6" Diamondback 22. Yeah, it's very pretty. I believe that if you letter a gun, Colt will include the engraver's name. One call to customer service would provide you with the answer.

Additional note: Back when I purchased this speciman, it had a 6" nickel twin (22) that was also D-engraved at just a slightly higher price tag. At the time, I was not that fond of nickel guns, so I passed on it. Wish I could roll history back a little and have dug up the money for that one too.

As far as pricing goes, who knows? I figure my 6" should be worth more than any 2.5" Diamondback 22. That means it is a $3000+ gun. I doubt if I would sell it for $5K.

Have never seen a list of the Colt factory engravers. There are the well known ones that are listed in some of Wilson's books which would take you into the mid-1980's. I believe they have different mastery levels. Wilson's books specifically on the engraved Colts would probably be the best source. That is one reference that I do not have.

You have any or you just hoping to find some?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Bighornhunter,

You asked:

"... have a pretty nice collection of Diamondbacks and an am thinking about starting to get some of the other Doulbe action guns that are factory engraved.Does anyone have a list of Colt engravers and did they sign or mark the guns they engraved?"

If you are really interested in Colt engraving, you need to buy a copy of Don Wilkerson's book " The PostWar Colt Single Action Revolver 1976-1986." In the book, Wilkerson covers the Colt Custom Shop and all of the engravers employed there. The list is fairly long and it gives a bio on each engraver. Also covered is the engraving styles and classes of coverage. Colt marked SAAs of the period with "COLT ENG" under the grips if the engraving was done at the factory by an apprentice or a journeyman engraver. If one of the Master Engravers did the work it was "signed" by him (also under the grips) ... I would assume that this same procedure was done on other models of Colts, but you know what can happen when you make assumptions! :)

Anyway... This book has the details on the Post War engravers... Bob Best

1 - 5 of 5 Posts