Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks rcwambold!

The revolver that I listed as a Police Special .32 caliber was extremely small, with a fixed front sight and a small tough toward the rear of the gun, without any rear sight. The trigger pull was HEAVY but the action was smooth.

The owner of the gun shop did tell me that this was the model that Teddy Roosevelt issued to the NYC police in 1896, or thereabouts, when he was the Police Commissioner.

I'll guess I'll have to learn more about this revolver and post some better information.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
First the DOBs, the Army Special was made in 1926. The New Police was made in 1907, the last year of production.

rcw, they certainly did make a model called the New Police and were only chambered in .32 IIRC, and one of the calibers was indeed the .32 Colt New Police. These were only made from 1896 to 1907 on the same small frame as the New Pocket model, so the Teddy Roosevelt story could well be true.

Price wise, I think they are both right in line.

dfaris or LoneStar may have further info.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 12-09-2003).]

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a couple of the old Army Specials and they routinely surprise folk with their accuracy. Also have one of the early Police Positives in 38S&W that is one of my favorites.

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The price for the Army Special seems OK; the price for the New Police is high for the condition you describe. I have one of these, serial 10xxx, nickel, 95%+, with perfect grips. These little guns are interesting, but it's not likely to be something you'll shoot much. And in the condition the gun is in, in my opinion, it's sub-collector grade. I'd save my money. For that sum you can buy a good Police Positive and shoot it.

The Colt NP is the same as the .32 S&W long, so ammo is available. And yes,it is the Teddy Roosevelt gun.

Bill A

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have found two very nice revolvers which intrigue me because of their age and caliber. I am thinking about buying both of them, and am curous to know if the asking price(s) are appropriate.

(1) Colt Army Special .38 in approximately 85%-90% condition (heavy holster wear.) Serial number is 538918, and it has a 6" barrel. The asking price is $359.00

(2) Colt New Police .32 in approximately 80% condition (finish is turning brown, and it also has heavy holster wear.) Serial number is 55352, and it has a 4" barrel. Asking price is also $359.00

Both revolvers seem to be in fine operating condition with minimal cylinder shake, decent actions and appropriate space between the cylinder and the forcing cone. If I purchased either (or both) I would have a competent gunsmith check the timing before I fired either one. Both revolvers appear to have Colt factory grips as well.

If anyone could give me any insight about these two rvolvers, I would be grateful.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi, Backup! Not much help from me, I'm afraid ... I know the Army Specials were the first-round sales attempt of what later became the Official Police. These are made in the early 20's, I'm pretty sure. The ones I've read about shoot surprisingly well. I think they're supposed to have the black, rubber-type grips. The other gun you describe, I can't tell what it is? Colt New Police .32 was a caliber - but not a gun model that I know of. Sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all - I appreciate the information!

The Army Special had initially caught my eye, and while dicussing that revolver I began looking at the small New Police revolver as well. It won't kill me to pass on the New Police, but the Army Special may be coming home with me after Christmas.

This will be my first Colt revolver (I have a 1911 that I shoot regularly) so I'm pretty happy to be adding this to my collection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts