Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Once a year the gun club I belong to has their annual gun show and typically it's pretty good though rife with Tupperware, Tacticool and accessories. There is the occasional SAA, lots of Rugers, Smiths and as is the case in most gun shows lots of long guns. I ran into a 1940 Colt M1911A1 U.S.Army marked that I REALLY LIKED but the gentleman had a heathier price tag on it than my wallet could bear. Looked absolutely gorgeous and the little I know about markings etc, all seemed to be in order. So....I stumbled away wiping drool off my chin until...uh oh...an absolutely pristine Government Model MK IV Series 70 in .45 just leapt off the table and into my hands. Naturally, me being a rescuer of the underappreciated, I had to bring her home. I mean, my birthday IS next month and all, right?

So I took some hasty pictures prior to field stripping and yes it has the collet bushing :( but I was absolutely giddy while cleaning off factory lubricant. The slide has been racked a few times, which is very obvious but fired? Factory fired absolutely but I'm going to lean towards "it was bought and put away" and the box became someone's Christmas present holder as I didn't get it, BUT the pistol, she sure is pretty.

So the 2 quick pictures while it was together and then a shot of the grip panels and the pistol letting the Eezox cure with in pieces.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Air gun Glasses Table Glass Eyewear Furniture Wood

I neglected to give her DOB, 1976

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Very nice. I have been looking for one but cannot find one at a price I consider decent around here, and a condition that arrants the higher price. What did you have to give for it if you do not mind me asking

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice. I have been looking for one but cannot find one at a price I consider decent around here, and a condition that arrants the higher price. What did you have to give for it if you do not mind me asking
Typically I wouldn't but it was equal to the new XSE LW Commander .45 at normal pricing OTD, not the added $200-300 some are now asking. Is that close enough? It was a fair deal not a screamer.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
You did good IMO. When I put the one I just picked up on layaway I looked online at the asking prices of these original MKIV/Series 70 and I could not believe some of the prices. Modified guns for 7 or 8 hundred, now granted there were some nice ones box and all but they was way north of 1K.

Me I'm a shooter so the one I got, while used it was in excellent condition, and more in my league because I like to change things.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You did good IMO. When I put the one I just picked up on layaway I looked online at the asking prices of these original MKIV/Series 70 and I could not believe some of the prices. Modified guns for 7 or 8 hundred, now granted there were some nice ones box and all but they was way north of 1K.

Me I'm a shooter so the one I got, while used it was in excellent condition, and more in my league because I like to change things.
I shoot mine too, with only a couple exceptions, and the condition sold me more than the model. After disassembling I noticed how very tight the collet bushing is to the barrel as compared to my other 1911 platformed pistols. Using plastic picks and Eexoz soaked patches I OCD cleaned every nook and cranny and only old lube typically found on the slide and frame rails showed up. Once the Eezox cured I put her back together for the night but may wax the frame and slide today to bring out the shine. My cell pics suck and don't show the deep bluing. The guy I bought it from has a brick and mortar but he knows me as " That Colt Fella" and we managed to agree on a price quite lower than his tag. He's now sold me 6 Colts so we've a good relationship. Might have to return to the show again today just to see if I missed any part deals or mis-priced ammo ;) .

·
Registered
44 Posts
what a good looking Colt you have , wats the different between a Mark4 serie 70 and a governement serie 70?
i saw a Mark 4 serie 70 simmular,but with paychmar grips, go to see it next week Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only Series 70 Government Model I'm aware of is the Model O which was a 2002 mfg pistol but I've been wrong before. There are, of course the Series 70 Commander and Combat Commander models of the 70's that were the pre MK series designators. I do know the collet bushing difference and the safety block from the Series 70 to Series 80. The Series 70 was the first design change since 1926 (read that somewhere) due to the collet bushing and barrel design. Having a better Colt DA revolver knowledge than the 1911 platformed/variations my learning curve is still rather steep though it's slowly leveling. A LOT of information to absorb is the one thing I'm sure of :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts