Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am negotiating the purchase of a pre-1898 revolver with a party in CA. I live in the Midwest and there are no restrictions on the purchase here but I don't know if there are any special requirements for the seller in CA. Since this is an antique, does CA impose restrictions on the transfer? Can anyone recommend someone reputable in the Arroyo Grande area who could look at the gun for me and act as the intermediary on the handoff of the gun and the money? Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
if it's pre 1898 there;s no problem, even in CA. Lived there all my life, but left to go to TX in 2012. I used to buy Antique pistol and Rifles there. The only problem was many sellers would only ship to a dealer, so I'd pay the dealer and take it home, no 10 day waiting period for antiques.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I've "repatriated" 3 or 4 revolvers from CA that were sent to my FFL in TX without any issues. These same handguns could not be sold to a law abiding citizen of Kalifornistan due to some silly list their politicians concocted concerning "safety issues when dropped". If the price is right and you feel comfortable that the seller is legit then follow the laws established for your state and you're good to go.

·
Registered
425 Posts
No problem with a California seller selling and sending that gun to you. California seller will want to fill out a No Longer in Possession form and sent it in to the DOJ.

For a sale IN California that gun can only be sold through a Private Party Transfer. That requires both parties to meet at a FFL to do the transfer paperwork. All private party Transfers (Wether new gun or old) are exempt from the "Gun Safety List."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts