Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted a .45 Colt SAA, but never could put together the wherewithal to buy one. I want to start saving for one, but I want "a good one". Are the new ones from Colt good shooters? Is there a particular generation that's preferred from a shooting standpoint, or are they all good to go? What can I expect (ballpark) to pay these days for an excellent condition shooter in each of the common barrel lengths?

Thanks for any advice, as always.

I've looked at USFA and mourn their passing, but I am going to get a genuine pony, at least for my first one.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
When you can connect with one - one of the new ones is a great gun.

Prices are somewhere between $1250 - $1450, on an average - depending upon your area, and luck.

Look at gunbroker - you'll see a number of them there.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Unless you just have your heart set on a SAA, I would suggest you consider the Colt New Frontier. The current models have the wonderful Eliason rear sight and a very decent quick draw style ramped front sight, all in a very handsome package. Here is mine, though in .44 Special:

Depending on your requirements for your sixgun, the New Frontier is more readily sighted in and can be adapted to a wider variety of handloads. And those sights provide a much better sight picture to most shooters than the grooved top strap of the SAA.

This just my observation, you understand. Not intended as advice.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I'm also a big fan of the New Frontier. The best shooting Colt SA that I've ever owned was a early 3rd gen 7 1/2" 44 special, the quality control wasn't great, but it punched paper, or what ever it was aimed at, like nobody's business.

If its accuracy that your looking for, and If you don't reload, you might want to reconsider 45 Colt; check out the current thread re: issues on chamber/throat sizes in 45 Colt. Third gens, particularly earlier ones, in general are probably going to have rougher actions (from the factory), and are spottier on quality control issues. Do a search here on the forum, there are a couple of threads on what to look for re: quality checks on 3 gens.

BTW, I don't currently have a N.F., but hope to correct that situation in the near future; preferably a 2nd gen or current production 4 3/4" or 5 1/2" 357. With all the SAAs I've owned I've never owned a 357; I understand that they are extremely accurate.

Best regards,

·
Registered
406 Posts
The sights on the New Frontier are much easier to see. Mechanically, ones as good as another as a shooter. 45s shoot just fine. A good shooter can get 2" groups at 25 yards off bags all day with any of them. Anyone claims they can do better consistantly will need to show me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do reload, in fact I have 200 handloads already built and no pistol to run them through. LOLThe new frontier is pretty and would probably make more practical sense. But this may be my only SAA, at least for a good long while, so I want to get the gen-yoo-wine article. However, that beauty up there has me reconsidering my stance.....

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've often heard it say that the 2nd gen SAA is the best shooter, but a couple of advanced collectors have told me that the current-production SAA (since about 5 or 6 years ago) are some of the very best that they have ever seen. But they are backlogged and it may be awhile if you custom order from the factory.

As for price...if you're OK with buying used instead of brand-new, you may wish to check local auctions. Especially if the auction consists of mostly "modern" guns, which will attract a different sort of customer than an auction which is primarily older or antique guns. I picked up a 2nd-gen SAA at auction awhile back for $925 because most of the bidders there were only interested in "modern sporting rifles" and so the three SAAs present went relatively cheap. It lacked the box and papers, and had a few minor dings, but appeared unfired. (A friend and I subsequently rectified the latter deficiency).

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
The recent manufacture Colt SAAs are great guns. Not easy to find but they are around. I like the 5 1/2" barrel but seem to be in a minority. Shooting a Colt SAA is one of the great pleasure allowed us in this life. They are a piece of history that you can shoot and enjoy. Start looking and be patient. the right one will come along. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
The recent guns are of improved quality, but like ALL 3rd Gen SAAs they should be examined with a knowledgeable eye before purchasing. I started a thread somewhere pointing out 3rd Gen flaws that could be helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.