Colt Forum banner

Probably the discovery of a lifetime.

4K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  Sandiavista59 
#1 ·
Through my job, I have the facilities to find good opportunities in weapons. But finding a 1917 military model in France in this condition is a miracle. I was contacted by an individual who inherited this pistol. Stored in a metal canteen filled with grease, it did not deteriorate. Grease has dried here and there and I haven't been able to get it all off yet but I'm hopeful.

I already have three civilian Colts from 1915, French government contract. It would be extraordinary for this to be one of the 500 purchased in 1917 at the Springfiel arsenal, still for the French army. But it seems to me that it would be impossible to determine. Shame.

Still, I stop looking for a US WW1 soldier. I don't think I can find better...

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Material property
Air gun Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory Trigger
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material
Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger Metal
Trigger Wood Air gun Gas Gun accessory
Bicycle part Composite material Gun accessory Tints and shades Metal
Air gun Trigger Grey Wood Gun barrel
Font Wood Metal Rectangle Number
Handgun holster Gun barrel Gun accessory Optical instrument Personal protective equipment
Camera accessory Auto part Fashion accessory Font Rectangle

See less See more
#29 ·
French Canteen? Maybe something like this...WWII French mess kit/canteen combo? Out on a limb here. This one's dated 1945. I'm trying to keep in mind that the French definition of "canteen" might be a bit different from ours? Who knows? I believe the Germans had something similar?

Rectangle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Tin

Brown Luggage and bags Rectangle Textile Bag

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.