Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Colt - an Agent Ser# 1434xx. The trigger return is VERY weak, sluggish, and slow. Also, the hammer spring seems to be quite weak as well. All of my other revlovers aer S&W's, so this is my first venture into "the Dark Side!"

Is this common occurance with Colt's?

What causes it and what are the cures?

When was the revolver made?

Thanks for your help

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the bright side. Have you cleaned it and lubed it at all? If it is 1434xxLW, it was made in 1964 and might be gunked up from then. Perhaps the hammer spring IS weak as that would affect all function. Are you comparing to something in particular or is it just pretty obvious that it is not all that it should be? Have you inspected it internally at all? The Agent like most/all D frames does not have a particularly heavy action. A little more info might lead to more suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I just pulled th eside plate (it is on a 3 day inspection so I was not wanting to take anything apart). Oh my god!!! the whole works are gummed up with what I guess is solidified grease. I mean A LOT of grease. It is harder than straight beeswax and about the same color. I can't believe it was even trying to work.

What is the best way to clean this off?

It looke like a lot of little parts in there-any exploded views of this gun on line?

As fo rwhy i thought something was not right, it was just very obvious from pulling the trigger. Smiths are th eonly thing I can compare it to. I am thinking of upgrading Colt Revolvers to "the Dark Grey Side." If this thing cleans up OK and shoots well, who knows, it may make it to at least "the Cloudy Side."

Thanks for your help!

·
Administrator
7,306 Posts
Welcome .

A tooth brush and Hoppes 9 will do the job .

6 shots are better than 5 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Ta-dah! Any good solvent that you would use on a Smith. I use GunScrubber, but grease that hard might require some soaking. It is not a DIY action to fit new parts and adjust, but it is not bad to disassemble and reassemble the existing fitted parts. The spring is the key and a pair of bent needle nose works well to compress and hold that. This schematic is labelled Agent, but although it shows a number of Diamondback parts like the vent ribbed barrel and adjustable sights, is really a generic D frame that GPC uses for all. http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0660zAGENT /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You should get a book,at least on disassembly/reassembly of Colts,and as A1A said,they are fairly e-z.This may require a soaking/but spray brake cleaner,and brushing of disassembled parts and inside of frame,followed by a light lube before assembly,should suffice.

IF the gun still feels "mushy" after this,the prior owner may have "overdone" "adjusting" the VEE shaped main spring(and this also is your trigger return spring.) By inserting a round piece of metal,like a drill bit, where the 2 leaves of the spring meet,and cocking the gun,mainspring tension is reduced-BUT-sometimes TOO MUCH! With your not having prior Colt experience(as well as not seeing the gun FTF),I won't tell you how to correctly "bend it back" to proper tension,and new D mainsprings aren't rare or expensive,

Make sure that you get the hand under the rebound lever before putting the side plate back on!! Besides messing up the sideplate,gun won't function! Some police armorers hated Colts because they claimed they could NOT work the action with the sideplate off to see the action,as the hand would "pop out and the cylinder release "bolt" would keep moving back. Well,its how you hold the gun in doing this action test!

Your experience is the reason why I completely tear down ANY gun I buy. I call this "gunk" that you found "fossilized crud",and I've seen it in guns as "new" as 10 years old,especially those who lived their prior lives as "safe queens",prior to my obtaining them and "using them as they were intended".

Good Luck,and get a manual like one by Jerry Kuhnhausen on Colts(an even S&Ws)-- and DON'T try any "fitting" of parts as was said!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
810 Posts
Nothing wrong with getting the "books" and learning 'how' to take it all apart,good info above, but for the wary/leary ones, just a flat pan and some solvents, whatever you like to use or are familier with, and you said ,you got the side plate off, lay the gun down in the pan, till it's "covered" in solvent and using an 'acid' brush or Q-tips or other small brushes, just swab out the internal works , flushout any residue. I happen to use mineral spirits, kerosene and if badly gummed, 'acetone', use vents or in "open" air. Gloves,or goggles help if you're 'EPA' conscious or 'OSHA" brainwashed.
Spray it down, and put the sideplate back on.
Same can be done with out even taking the sideplate off, BUT must remove the grips to protect them from many of the different solvents. As said above, simple brake cleaner and an air hose will work "wonders".
Years ago we used to use a 'vibrating/heated' tank and with the solvents, overnight , the guns came out "spotless". Oil and put the grips back on.
It's NOT rocket science, only common sense, and not complicated....................... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I soaked it in mineral spirits over night and then scrubbed the insides with a brush. I oiled it and put it back together and it is much improved. THe trigger rebound is still not what I am used to, but it is worlds better than what it was before. It still gets bound up ocassionally in double action dry firing. Is this a weak hammer spring? I am going to the range tomorrow and will shoot it for the first time.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Simply put,as I said in my earlier post,the V spring serves BOTH hammer(top leaf) and (the bottom leaf),the trigger return,plus they serve to help control,the "heart of any Colt old style action,the rebound lever". Tension on hand spring is also maintained by the lower leaf. Colt parts serve more than one function,unlike S&W,which is one reason the Govt. tended to prefer Colt Revolvers,as being a little simpler for Ordinance to stock parts for and repair.

You can either order a D frame spring from Gun Parts Co.(make sure you get it with the little "tit" on it),or if you want to make sure it is a new spring,go to Wolff Gun Springs website.

Bud

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Since you've gone this far, why not try a little disassembly? Soaking and brushing just what's exposed could still leave a lot of crud under things like the safety mechanism, trigger and hammer. Just a suggestion, but maybe it needs that little extra. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts