Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It arrived at the FFL today, and while handling it there, I noticed that the left grip panel was loose. As soon as I got it home, I took off the grips to see why. It seems that Diamondback grips, like with other revolver grips I've seen, are securred by both the screw and a stabilizing cross pin at the bottom of the grip frame. Unilke other revolvers, though, this cross pin doesn't just secure into a hole drilled in the wood of the grip panels. Each grip panel secures into a thick steel washer that sits securely in a cutout in their respective grip panel. While the right side on mine had this steel washer, the left one didn't, so the left panel is loose, not having anything to secure into. What is this part called, and can I buy a replacement for the missing one? The seller says he'd pay for it if I bought one. Alternatively, he offered to take the gun back for a full refund. Thanks.

PS Here's an image of the right side that has the steel washer. The other side doesn't have it.

Tool Wood Hand tool Font Circle

·
Registered
64 Posts
I realize it is not factory correct but I had the same issue with one of the grips on a diamondback. I used a stainless steel washer from my bolt/nut cabinet and it literally fit perfectly. It must be common for them to fall out and get lost. The washer is a common size you would get from a fastener supplier such as K L Jack or Grainger. I could look and try to match it up with the drawer it came out of to get a size.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize it is not factory correct but I had the same issue with one of the grips on a diamondback. I used a stainless steel washer from my bolt/nut cabinet and it literally fit perfectly. It must be common for them to fall out and get lost. The washer is a common size you would get from a fastener supplier such as K L Jack or Grainger. I could look and try to match it up with the drawer it came out of to get a size.
That would be awesome! Thanks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Years ago I had a friend of mine who was a tool & die maker by trade make me a couple dozen of those. It was very simple for him and I "saved" a lot of Diamondback grips over the years. Super glue keeps them in place and they never come out again.
Mike

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Years ago I had a friend of mine who was a tool & die maker by trade make me a couple dozen of those. It was very simple for him and I "saved" a lot of Diamondback grips over the years. Super glue keeps them in place and they never come out again.
Mike
Good thought on the super glue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry for taking so long. Unfortunately my fix was much cruder than I remembered. Still it worked well and the nut , not washer, was correct in the very outside dimensions. So it did not gouge the wood and the inner diameter is exactly the same size as the bushing. So a little crude but maybe workable temporarily or if you are not fussy. An 1/8 inch stainless steel nut by the way.
Wood Wood stain Wall Material property Gas

Revolver Sleeve Jewellery Magenta Gun accessory

Wood Wood stain Gas Household hardware Door

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I've got someone sending me a facsimile of the correct dimensions, but it's good to know that an alternative exists that will work.

PS What's the electrical tape for?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your welcome, not a very elegant fix I know. I probably said this will do for now until I can get the right thing. Then for now turns into for ever.
The tape or some tape in the same spot was there when I got the gun. I peeled it off but it is acting as a sort of gap filler I guess. I was able to tighten it up with the tape off. But it felt like I was using more force than I wanted to use. I was hoping the previous owner just put the tape on to make up for the missing bushing and keep things from moving. Well nobody ever accused me of being a fine craftsman. But a good carpenter knows how to hide his mistakes.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sorry for taking so long. Unfortunately my fix was much cruder than I remembered. Still it worked well and the nut , not washer, was correct in the very outside dimensions. So it did not gouge the wood and the inner diameter is exactly the same size as the bushing. So a little crude but maybe workable temporarily or if you are not fussy. An 1/8 inch stainless steel nut by the way.
View attachment 768300
View attachment 768302
View attachment 768301
That's one of those things that are good to know

1 - 16 of 16 Posts