Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to understand how you sell a gun from California when using a gun dealer as the middleman. I know they charge a $25 - $35 DROS fee, I guess to do a background check of the buyer, record the sale, etc. Then after the 10 day waiting period do THEY have to ship the gun or can I then ship it myself? Is there usually an extra charge to sell to someone out of state?
Basically I'm trying to inform the auction buyer of all of the expected costs.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
If you are selling a gun and shipping it out of the state of CA, it's usually cheapest to ship from an FFL as they can ship it Priority mail (if it's a handgun). Private individuals can only ship long guns through the post office. Most dealers will charges a fee plus the shipping cost (usually still cheaper than using Fed ex or UPS).

Guns need to be shipped to an 01 FFL or 03 C&R (if the gun qualifies). You can ship it your self, but most carriers require next day air (which can cost $80+). Also you must declare to the shipper that you are shipping a firearm (this is when they start to freak out). Also file a "no longer in possession" form with the State, as the gun might be registered to you.

So basically all your buyer needs to pay for is the shipping cost (plus fee) and send a copy of the FFL. It's the receiving FFL's responsibility to comply with their State laws to get the gun to the purchaser.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts