Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are production numbers so hard to get on the pythons,diamondbacks,troopers etc.Is everybody afraid that prices will go up if they become know.Here is a secret.You are to late.Prices have already gone up.You will pay top dollar if you want a top notch piece.Getting one from a little old lady selling her husbands guns well guys those days sadly are gone with .99 cent gas.I have tried to get as much info as possible from all the available sources and there is just not much reliable info.I would like to thank the guys that have emailed me with info on the Diamondbacks and Troopers as that is mainly my interest.These guns are becoming so hard to locate and even harder to buy that I have considered sellig mine and buying a good HGTV something I can get some use out of before I die.I hate to say this but it seems that you can now get more gun for your money collecting Smiths.I know the argument apples vs oranges maybe so but I am afraid we have reached the point that only rich younger people even look at Colts due to price while there is still some shopping in the S&W market by us oldtimers.I love my Colts buy I think maybe time and money have finally out ran me.I try to keep a list of sale prices especially on Diamondbacks and for a 99 to NIB gun you will pay at least 800-900 on the low side to 1500 high side.As for nickel I will not even get it started.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I hate to say this but it seems that you can now get more gun for your money collecting Smiths

[/ QUOTE ]
It has always been that way. That is one of the things that Smith lovers used to always crow about. They used to love to talk about how you could buy 2 or 3 Smiths for the price of one Colt. Now days the classic Smiths are quickly rising in price and notice how the Smith lovers now whine.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Now days the classic Smiths are quickly rising in price and notice how the Smith lovers now whine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Majic, you hit the nail on the head and nobody is being banished from the same boat.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Bighornhunter,

That's an interesting post, but perhaps the reason there are no production figures is because no one has taken the time to study them and publish the results, rather than people hiding the information because they are afraid the price will go up... Colt doesn't keep that kind of information available at their fingertips for ready reference.
Let me give you an example, I collect the early double action New Army and Navy models produced from 1889 to 1908. There was very little information published on them and most of what was published was wrong. I stated collecting them about 10 years ago and collected data on everyone I could find, I talked with folks who owned them, wrote a couple articles on them for the Colt Collector's Association magazine and gathered more data. I talked to Kathy Hoyt a lot about them and she finally invited me back to Colt to study the shipping records on these guns... It requires an analysis of the shipping records to get that data... I published a book on the New Army and Navy Models about a year and a half ago... Its detailed and comprehensive and has all of that information you are looking for in the Diamondbacks... Don Wilkerson did the same thing for the Colt Model 1878 revolvers and another gentleman is doing the same for the Model 1877 Lightning revolvers... You seem to have an interest in the Dbacks, why don't you gather it all together and get some of our other collectors from the forum to help you with missing data. Write something up and send it in to the CCA for publication. You will most likely get more information that way and you will open up the field on them... It takes someone with an interest to dig out the data on a chosen collector theme... Why don't you step up and be that someone? Bob Best

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have considered the same thing about selling. But, I am not not giving up. Hope you don't either. From what I know about Diamondbacks, the market is doing a good job of dealing with production. Prices on Pythons and 4" Diamondbacks are what amaze me for the most part. There were really a lot manufactured and the prices keep going up. Makes me glad I picked up a 6" 38spl Diamondback (blue) a while back even though 38's aren't my thing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I hate to say this but it seems that you can now get more gun for your money collecting Smiths

[/ QUOTE ]
It has always been that way. That is one of the things that Smith lovers used to always crow about. They used to love to talk about how you could buy 2 or 3 Smiths for the price of one Colt. Now days the classic Smiths are quickly rising in price and notice how the Smith lovers now whine.
I collect both and can tell you the price gap is closing fast.
Mike

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Did anything ever come of the "Lightning" book?
The gentleman who was doing the book passed away. His material has been passed on to another collector who is trying to put the bookj together along with the wife of the first author... I haven't heard recently what the progress of the book is...

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts