Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this gun today. It is a 1927 44-40 with some issues.

Rust spot on the barrel
Action does not work
Reshaped front sight
BADLY rusted cylinder

I have to wait the required 7 days to pick up the gun. I will take it apart and see what is not working or broken. I may just reshape the back edge of the sight. The rust on the barrel will leave a spot but it will be OK The minor rust on the rest of the gun will cleanup OK. The cylinder is now home soaking in some ATF and Acetone. The rust is very bad on one cylinder and a little on each edge. The bore and chambers are fine. I will most likely be looking for a replacement cylinder.

IMG_1148_LI (2).jpg IMG_1150.JPG IMG_1149.JPG IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1161.JPG

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Looks like a great project and great find...thank u for sharing...God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'd say the cylinder is a paper weight.

Any back story why it was neglected?

I'd be happy to find a project gun. But even the brand new ones turn out to be a project gun.

·
Premium Member
18,943 Posts
That is sure strange looking corrosion on the cylinder. It will be interesting to see what that area looks like after soaking in ATF and acetone.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It came into the shop with a batch of about 15 to 20 other guns. Many had similar damage. My understanding is that they were stored in a safe for a long period of time. Many of the long guns had damage where they rested against the carpeted rack. I am thinking mice got into the safe and did their business on the guns. It is acidic and can cause rust like this over time especially if moisture and high humidity are added to the equation. I have never seen a batch guns with so much localized advanced rust in one small location. I often buy the rough condition guns cheap and part them out on eBay. I missed out on the last two single action project guns, one the owner would not sell and the other sold for more then double what I paid for this one. Will a 44 special cylinder work OK in this gun? 1st or 2nd generation is good to go?

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
It came into the shop with a batch of about 15 to 20 other guns. Many had similar damage. My understanding is that they were stored in a safe for a long period of time. Many of the long guns had damage where they rested against the carpeted rack. I am thinking mice got into the safe and did their business on the guns. It is acidic and can cause rust like this over time especially if moisture and high humidity are added to the equation. I have never seen a batch guns with so much localized advanced rust in one small location. I often buy the rough condition guns cheap and part them out on eBay. I missed out on the last two single action project guns, one the owner would not sell and the other sold for more then double what I paid for this one. Will a 44 special cylinder work OK in this gun? 1st or 2nd generation is good to go?
See what your Groove-to-Groove measurement is in the Barrel.

Chances are .44 Special would be just fine, far as I can imagine...but it is always nice to know how much or how little the Bullet is going to adapt to what the Barrel has going.

·
Premium Member
18,943 Posts
I would think one would not want to put a 44 special cylinder in a gun that has a barrel marked with CFSS. Someday, someone will be stuffing 44-40's into that cylinder trying to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
This would be a perfect one to make a great shooter out of...
I personally would make it a 44 special...one of my favorite calibers...a real sweetheart to shoot

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm glad you didn't give up on the cylinder. If the chambers clean up, you can probably just use it. You can always use a bad one as your empty chamber anyway. I dream about fixer uppers with that much case color left.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mike , I'm not sure if I have all the connections but I bought some cotton socks for pistols off Ebay. If that was mom that sewed them up , thank her again for me. Very handy when making grips and having do a lot of handling.
Sure do miss riding. Tom

·
Premium Member
6,451 Posts
That SAA is worth saving. To expand your options, consider getting a .32/20 cylinder or a 2nd Generation .38 Special or .357 Magnum cylinder and have the cylinder re-chambered to .44/40. As previously noted, I think you want to stay with the .4440 chambering for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The cylinder doesn't look bad now. In those 1st pictures it appeared to be a total loss! There may be a partial matching serial number on the rear surface.

I have #350276, and a "76" is stamped on the rear cylinder surface. Shipped from Colt factory 10/24/1927.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Excellent work so far...can not wait to see how it turns out

1 - 20 of 40 Posts