Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
$1300 for this 2nd Gen....

Pulled the TiN coated "gold" parts off the gun. Added a lightly used 5.5" 2nd Gen Colt barrel, a 2nd Gen Colt cylinder with correctly cut throats, and a new fitted bushing, had the hammer borderer checkered. Used an old ASM ejector rod housing (while I wait for my 2nd Gen housing to be returned). But I like how the end was tapered on this one. Not a big effort to get it fitted. Plugged in new Colt internals and a used Colt trigger I had in the parts box. Gun is correctly timed now and a really nice trigger. Bought the real one piece rose wood grips off ebay for $80. Seller said he paid $300 for them but they didn't fit his 2nd Gen gun and the maker wouldn't re-fit them or make it right :bang_wall:. (Internal channel wasn't cut deep enough for the main spring. But the seller didn't know that). I thought it worth the risk to see if I could use them. A lesson there about sending a stripped frame/back strap and trigger guard off for new grips :rolleyes: Just took some time with a scraper inside the back strap groove to get them fitted correctly. Walnut is a better choice for wood IMO....it's not as brittle, more durable, less prone to chip at the edges. I'll shoot this one in the next couple of days and turn the barrel as needed for POI/POI and I'll post the end results. No beauty queen but a good durable packing gun that hopefully will shoot exceptionally well.

Two down and more two to go :) Coming up are a 2nd Gen 5.5" FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER and a 3rd Gen BP 7.5" 44-40 both using Dave Lanara's one piece walnut grip blanks.

So far it's been a pretty steep learning curve but for what they are asking and getting for the newest 3rd Gen guns, they are lessons well worth the extra effort I think and I'm still coming in under those inflated prices with, what I think at least, are generally better guns.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Bravo, another great success! Nice work, and good looking.

Me thinks you may just be incenting a stampede for heretofore ignored affordable 2nd gen commemoratives! Another great thing is almost all of these are in the most popular 45 chambering.

Soon these will be researched and described in newer or updated Colt books as 2nd Gen Commemorative Resurrections! They all have their own special serial ranges too for easy ID. A whole new buying niche for good shooter Colts.

Jim

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
joehaber said:
... Have you had training as a gunsmith?....
Thanks Joe. No training past reading and hands on working by myself.

So here are the range results today. All that matters to me really. Next time some one tells you a SAA won't shoot think back on this. Two in a row done the same way, good triggers, tight barrel throats for caliber and a barrel with the front sight actually turned vertical. Shot with a proven hand load Colt SAAs seem to like.

Loads are 255gr Oregon Trail hard cast SWC, sized .452", mixed brass, Winchester large pistol primers, hard roll crimp and 7.0gr of Unique loaded on a 25+ year old Dillon Square Deal 500 at a time.

First 6 rounds at 10 yards...guns shoots a little high. May be a little right. And one remembers why a 7.5" gun is more fun to shoot with 255s than a 5.5 or 4.3/4 :bang_wall:

Next 12 rounds @ 15 yards.

18 rounds at 25 yards....and gun is no longer shooting high. Shot standing with my back leaning against the wall. Wife was waiting on me so I was under some pressure and rushed :) Bet most of us have btdt.

Last 6 rounds shot off hand @ 15 yards.....to finish on a high note for today. I put the front sight at 6 o'clock on the orange dot for this target instead of at the top of the dot where I normally shoot. Likely me pulling everything a little right or just not keeping the gun vertical when I am shooting. Best answer? Perfect practice.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Yahoody, either the beautiful revolver you made was perfect or you are a great shot, LOL!!!! Your reworked 2nd Gen is a beauty now. The gold was definelty on the ugly side.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts