Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know the correct(Step by step?)proceedure, for removing and replacing a Coltmaster rear sight on an Colt, Officer's Model Special revolver(And, to avoid damaging the gun or the "Rare" Coltmaster sight, in any way?)? I have never done this before-so, I need the advice from some of you "Experts"? Thanks, in advance!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looking down on the revolver the sight is removed to the left.

With a screwdriver that fits the sight windage adjustment screw start moving the sight toward the left (latch) side of the revolver. Go slowly. When you've gone a bit you'll see a spring. Continue slowly, the spring bears on a horseshoe shaped piece that contains several "bumps" on the inner face. When the horseshoe shaped piece is fully exposed, remove it with a small pair of pliers (a bit of rotation may be required). Continue turning the screw slowly, being careful not to loose the screw or the spring when they are freed from the female threads on the underside of the sight. At this point the sight may be removed. Assemble in reverse order, with care.

Bob

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bfoster:

Whenever I reassemble the the Coltmaster sight, do I place the horseshoe shaped piece, against the spring, before I begin tightening the screw, to move the sight back into it's proper position again-or?

I appreciate your help regarding this matter-as I have never done anything like this before!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should clarify my first reply, as follows:

1)In your instructions, you said to remove the horseshoe shaped piece, once it was fully exposed. But, at this point, neither the screw or, the spring, has not yet been released from the female threads, so.......

2)When reassembling, should the horseshoe piece, be put back in, before screwing the screw back in to engage the threads? Or, should the screw be initially, screwed back in, approximately(Into the threads)about where the screw(And, spring)were at, previously, whenever the horseshoe piece was removed? Please clarify this? Thanks again?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I suggested removing the horseshoe shaped piece (the bumps on it are an element in what gives the sight its' clicks) before the screw, spring and sight are "loose" because the horseshoe shaped piece is small, and may be under a bit of spring pressure (if the spring "hangs" in a slightly compressed state on the screw). You'd have a dickens of a time finding this part if it "escaped" in an unknown direction, therefore I suggest controlled removal with pliers. Again, a bit of rotation may be required- don't force anything, if correctly aligned the part will come off the sight screw easily.

I've reassembled these both ways. If you choose to assemble as a unit be sure that the "timing" of this piece is correct (in its' relation to the frame and the main body of the sight)- a marked, sudden increase in the torque required to turn your screwdriver is a sure sign that something's not properly aligned.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts