Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was thinking about putting some period correct glass on my Winchester model 61...but I'm not sure what would be the correct scope for a 1950's model 61. Recommendations anyone?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Something like these old Weaver 3/4" scopes from the 40s and the 50s would look and perform well on your Model 61. They would be close to period correct for the age of your rifle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think the optimum scope would be one of these Redfield 3/4" .22 scopes from the 70s. They are built like a high power rifle scope, just reduced in size. While they were produced in the 70s, one would be fairly close to correct for your 60s era rifle. I use them on my hunting .22 rifles with good success.

This one will soon go on a Marlin 1894 CL 32/20 carbine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I for got to mention it's the compact model, with Weaver mounts, clear lens covers and in mint condition.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Only those from 1954 on were grooved. So you're lucky to have one. Winchester didn't groove many of their .22s until about then, and then cancelled most designs within a few years.

·
Premium Member
20,445 Posts
JohnnyP, That is a great looking M63 and scope!! I was fortunate enough to find an early M-61 at a LGS that was equipped with the Weaver 330 like Scharfschuetze posted pictures of. I really like that setup!

·
Premium Member
20,445 Posts
I have 3 of the Redfield/Browning 3/4" scopes. I believe the Browning one has an attached base that slides onto a dove-tailed receiver. The Redfields need rings. It appears sellers on eBay value them quite highly.

·
Registered
73 Posts

I was able to easily afford this one (1948) since the receiver had already been drilled. And it enables me to hunt with it more effectively at longer ranges. Shown is a period G4 Weaver in 4x in an N5 mount. You might also find a period Weaver with a Lithschert power booster in perhaps 8x. These were commonly available in the 50's. I like the J4 Weavers the best among those 3/4" Weavers available in this period.

The mount will accept any 3/4" tube, so now it has a Baby Redfield. Although the Baby was not available in the 40's, (production began in the mid 60's) it would not be a stretch to imagine the original owner upgrading to one.

Grubee (google it) makes a nice (Chinese) repro of the Baby Redfield for about $150.

For the record, there is no way I would EVER drill and tap the receiver of a fine rifle, but it was common practice at that time.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 737889

I was able to easily afford this one (1948) since the receiver had already been drilled. And it enables me to hunt with it more effectively at longer ranges. Shown is a period G4 Weaver in 4x in an N5 mount. You might also find a period Weaver with a Lithschert power booster in perhaps 8x. These were commonly available in the 50's. I like the J4 Weavers the best among those 3/4" Weavers available in this period.

The mount will accept any 3/4" tube, so now it has a Baby Redfield. Although the Baby was not available in the 40's, (production began in the mid 60's) it would not be a stretch to imagine the original owner upgrading to one.

Grubee (google it) makes a nice (Chinese) repro of the Baby Redfield for about $150.

For the record, there is no way I would EVER drill and tap the receiver of a fine rifle, but it was common practice at that time.
Sadly collectors freak out over holes drilled in rifles. But when they're period correct, it doesn't really offend me. Your rifle looks PERFECT for the time in which it was made. VERY nice rifle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts