Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I can't provide picture of subject pistol I could be interested in buying if police marked.
It bears on right side of receiver this marking: "B.M.C.P. 64."
Could you help in identifying, please
Cheers - Bruno

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Tientsen British Maritime Council Police, the following is from Sam Lisker's most excellent Colt Autos website. Thanks, Sam.

1908 Colt Model M .380 serial number 1052XX No. 85 - marked B.M.C.P. 85 on the right side of the frame, above the trigger. The slide also has the number 85 stamped in front of the right slide legend. There were five shipments that account for a total of 355 pistols. This is part of the second contract of 55 pistols shipped on 4/26/29. The serial numbers of the shipment range from 105207 - 105261. These guns have factory lanyard loops, the safety disconnector is removed and have been numbered post-factory 51 - 105.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"M" in B.M.C.P. : is it for Maritime or Municipal?

For Brunner, M is for Municipal; for Lisker, M is for Maritime (!?)
Which one is correct?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Ask Sam where he got his info from and that might help otherwise, it is just an opinion from someone. And that is how an opinion becomes reference facts just because it comes from someone who has that "expert" label.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Ask Sam where he got his info from and that might help otherwise, it is just an opinion from someone. And that is how an opinion becomes reference facts just because it comes from someone who has that "expert" label.
It seems to me that the information is much too detailed to be an opinion and of course a Colt letter would confirm it.

Jim

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tientsin city (Tianjin in Chinese) includes a harbour, that may explain "Maritime".
"Municipal" is given by John W. Brunner in his Colt Book II, page 123, likely based on "SMP" property stamp standing for "Shanghai Municipal Police".

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tientsin city (Tianjin in Chinese) includes a harbour, that may explain "Maritime".
"Municipal" is given by John W. Brunner in his Colt Book II, page 123, likely based on "SMP" property stamp standing for "Shanghai Municipal Police".

Attachments

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
JohhnyP Just talking about the meaning of these initials. Not talking about all of Sam's info.
Well if Sam has that information, then what is concern. If he knows and has the info, then that i it, right?

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By curiosity, is B.M.C.P. 244 equipped with an SMP type magazine?

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
1,892 Posts
By curiosity, is B.M.C.P. 244 equipped with an SMP type magazine?
It is the same. Viewing holes in the front and back. This is the only picture I have of the magazine.

Reactions: bruno38

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Besides # 64 (above), I could find only 4 other B.M.C.P. that had been reported # 85-119-150 (on Sam Lisker website) and 244 (mentallapse). Are we aware of any others, among the "355" lot?

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interestingly subject letter mentions two property numbers: 263 & 300...

·
Registered
48 Posts
If I remember correctly it's "British Maritime Customs Police." I have one of the pistols and have info somewhere in my research for my books on the Shanghai Municipal Police. The Maritime Customs Police ordered the same types of weapon as the SMP because of Fairbairn's influence. The BMCP worked closely with the SMP on smuggling of weapons and drugs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts