Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Maritime Customs? Interesting avenue...
What is your source, amigo?

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is slide only SN 132768. There is at least one other BMCP slide that was mated to a early .32 frame.

IMG_0009 (1).jpg
My research on BMCP supports “British Municipal Council Police” . As far as “British Maritime Customs Police”: The Foreign administration of Chinese customs primarily ended in 1933. So it would not be likely any would have been shipped after 1933. If it were marked for customs police, I believe it would be marked CMCP “Chinese Maritime Customs Police“ As the Chinese Maritime Customs Sevice was the name. I scanned several historical documents and none had any reference to “British Maritime Customs Police”.

From a research paper on line - “ln the Treaty Port system, allotments of land had been aliocated to the Treaty Powers for the residence and trade of their nationals. These concessions then fell under that nation's jurisdiction and was policed and administered by its own nationals. The British Concession in Tientsin was an example of such an enclave of British control in a Treaty Port.” The British Municipal Council was the controlling organization of the British Municipal Area.

”Unless there is indisputable evidence Brunner is always right”:giggle:

·
Registered
48 Posts
You may be correct. I am in the process of moving so can't get at all of reference stuff. I can't remember if John Brunner and I corresponded on the BMCP guns or not. I allowed him to use some photos of mine and he returned the favor in my book on the SMP to show the "bridge." I also have correspondence from a Maritime Customs guy who retired to Australia and he mentions carrying a .380 auto but I don't think he mentioned the markings. He has been dead for 20 years or more now.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I assume confusion may come from the fact that the Chinese Maritime Customs were a British-dominated service...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Researching this gives great context to the fictional book/movie “The Sand Pebbles”. Unfortunately in the movie (as in many instances in Hollywood) Stars were substituted for Colt 1911s.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
After spending hours since yesterday reading through out several specialized publications available on internet, I have no doubt Mr. Brunner is correct about B.M.C.P. meaning « British Municipal Council Police ».

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree that "British Municipal Council Police" is likely correct. I know that the Tientsin Police used Colt .380s and I have never seen nor heard of one marked "Tientsin Police." The Tientsin Concession was called the "British Concession" so that makes sense. The only three China marked Colt Pockets I've seen are SMP, BMCP, and the French Concession ones, and the latter were overstamped. Some sources have stated that there were SMP marked Colt .25 autos, but I think they are confusing them with the small number of FN Model 1905 pistols purchased by the SMP from Alcock and Pierce in Australia. Some sources state the .25s were purchased for female prison warders but mine came from W.E. Fairbairn and is an FN rather than a Colt. If I have a photo of it on this computer I'll attach it. I sent a friend who is retired from the Hong Kong Police and is an expert on the British Concession in Tientsin the link to this discussion as I thought he would find it interesting.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts