Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Nickel plated Colts get a black smudging on the end of the cylinders and around the end of the barrel. It will come off with a lot of effort, but why when it will be right back after the next shooting. Nickel guns are hard to shoot in bright sunlight as sights are harder to see. Parts are harder to get for nickel guns. Try finding a nickel-plated cross bolt if you lose one or both parts while shooting. Screws are the same way. That said, nickel guns are pretty to look at and look good in holsters. My working guns are all blue and case-hardened. I save the nickel plated one for barbeques.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
As has been said, nickel is harder to maintain a good sight picture in varying light conditions. The Single Action Army doesn't provide good sights at best, and shining them up doesn't help.

But if you're not concerned about precision shooting and like the looks of nickel, by all means go with nickel. Both case hardened/blue and nickel will show age in time and develop "character" that a stainless gun can never hope to achieve.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are Nickel Colt Single Actions more popular with blackpowder shooters?And last, why were the Native American Scouts issued Nickel Single Action Army Colts? Seems like reflective nature of nickel and their mission were contradictory.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I have read that nickle held up a little better with black powder. I also read that indian scouts got nickle. I kind of think nickle shiny gns turned them on and it might have been recruiters knew it would be a incentive to be able to recruit them to help hunt their own people. Probley they werent great at cleaning their guns. Maybe thats a low blow from me as I recall a old article how ingenious they were at fixing their guns and cobbeling ammunition together without all the aids that the white men had.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I think Nickel finished guns tend to increase in value faster than blued guns. This is just a natural result of there being less Nickel finished guns made. This might be something to consider if investment is part of the reason you are buying a gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.