Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to see your comments about this gun.
It was originally sold in the Colt Archives auction in March 2009 for $1300. At that time, no grips were on the gun. I have no personal stake in the gun and don't have any intention of bidding on it, just wondering what you guys think of it.
- Bruce in Ohio

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I like the way colt did the top of the frame on it and wish Colt made all NF's like it. I'll have too watch this one. I see it has a third gen cylinder. I would think it would have a 2nd gen cylinder. Also how does the base pin lock in? First shot it would go flying.

·
Premium Member
20,684 Posts
I wonder if that is a Prototype or just someone at Colt 'playing around' with a design he liked (maybe that is a definition of 'Prototype'). At any rate, it appears to be a one-of-a-kind. I suspect the bids will continue to climb on this one.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I wonder if that is a Prototype or just someone at Colt 'playing around' with a design he liked (maybe that is a definition of 'Prototype'). At any rate, it appears to be a one-of-a-kind. I suspect the bids will continue to climb on this one.
It's basically a flat top and no additional steps to machine a cavity down into the frame for the sight to sit flush. Maybe one of the engineers was playing around with a frame forging that had some defect. I had a 1911a1 that belonged to a Colt engineer. All I had was a typed letter and a copy of his Colt badge. I sold it after a few years, and the guy who bought it told me the rest of the story because he had other guns like it. It was a early post war frame that was likely rejected, and he stamped it with a ww2 serial number and built it up. It had some WW2 parts (biggest was the slide) that were finished commercially. Colt employees played around with what was on hand.

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the way the top strap was done, but there doesn't seem to be any mechanism to retain the base pin (as mentioned above). At first I thought it might have a black powder-type frame with a screw in the front, but no. It does seem to have a bullseye ejector. Definitely odd.
- Bruce in Ohio

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
It appears to be fully functional as a firearm but why would they not retain the base pin?

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it is, after all, a prototype and thus experimental. And it did not have the grips when it was originally sold in the Archives auction in 2009. A subsequent owner obviously added them without any fitting. I find prototype/experimental guns interesting because you can see some of the ideas the designers were trying out during the development process. Nonetheless, the lack of any retention method of the base pin is strange.
And, Terry is correct, it has a standard ejector, not the bullseye type. I should have looked more closely at the photo.
Thanks for your comments, guys.
- - Bruce in Ohio

1 - 13 of 13 Posts