Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the prototype of the Trooper MK III. In other words, the very first Trooper MK III.
I'm guessing Colt was unsure what to call it at the time as the bottom of the grips/stocks say DELTA/TROOPER.
Notice the grips have a 1/2 round cut around the medallions.
It has Colt's GX prefix serial number.
In case you guys don't know, GX stands for GUN EXPERIMENTAL.
So, if you ever see a Colt with a GX prefix, you may want to look it over real good. It may be a one of a kind prototype.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Interesting in that the stocks are from the later Mark3 series ,but have the nickel medallions from the early series Mark 3s

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Interesting in that the stocks are from the later Mark3 series ,but have the nickel medallions from the early series Mark 3s
I don't think they are the later style grips.
The shape of the rounded butt is quite different and the checkering and border pattern is very different.
I think these are an early prototype grip, and Colt decided to produce them as the more traditional square butt used on the early Mark III.
I'd think that they went back to these experimental grips when they decided to change the original square butt to the later round butt and used them as a prototype.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
The stocks are not exactly like the later ones ,but it makes you wonder why they would go from a much better design to a clunkier design ,and then realizing , oops , the original design was better.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
The stocks are not exactly like the later ones ,but it makes you wonder why they would go from a much better design to a clunkier design ,and then realizing , oops , the original design was better.
Public demand.
I'm sure Colt product tested the gun with selected people and in those days, a full size revolver had square butt grips or it was suspect.
The people looking at the prototype probably complained about the odd shaped grips and recommended that Colt change them to the "right" type.

Dan Wesson very nearly failed right out of the gate, largely due to the weird looking grips they were using on the early guns.
They were great feeling combat grips, but the buying public HATED the way they looked. Dan Wesson quickly changed to a very traditional square butt grip for standard models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts