Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As long as we are talking about Colt prototypes, here is a Peacemaker .22 with a cross-bolt safety that was sold in the second Colt Archive auction (3/29/09). The serial number is G132593 which would indicate that the frame was made in 1975. Colt produced the Peacemaker and New Frontier .22 revolvers from 1970 to 1977 and reintroduced the New Frontier .22 with the cross bolt safety in 1982. As far as is known, no Peacemaker .22 revolvers with cross-bolt safeties were ever sold on the retail market before the Colt Archive auctions. There were five similar revolvers offered in these auctions and I was lucky enough to have the winning bid on this one. Even though no such Peacemaker .22s were sold by the factory, there was a undated piece of Colt advertising that showed these guns. I have seen several examples of the broadside ad but the only appearance in commercial print that I know of was on the front inside cover of "The Colt Collector" (Volume 1, #4 Feb. 1975 and #5 April 1975) edited by Keith Cochran.
- - - - -Buckspen
View attachment 39761 View attachment 39762 View attachment 39760

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Wow. I always heard the plan was to bring back the Peacemaker and the New Frontier with the crossbolt safety. Never made sense that A. they only brought back the New Frontier , and B made them only as 22 lr. Great revolver to have. Maybe some day will see these great little 22s again ,but I doubt it. Not in this league , but I picked up a Nickel Scout in the high 29 k serial number range ,that puts it in the last 75 made. Also snagged an as nib New Frontier 6 inch L Series 22/22 mag. The SCout is a shooter , the L a safe queen.

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why Colt didn't bring back the Peacemaker .22 at the same time as the cross-bolt New Frontier .22 is a mystery. Or, why didn't they just produce the Peacemaker .22 only? After all, it sold better than the adjustable sight gun during the 1970's.
One of the many mysteries of Colt.

- - - - Buckspen

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have a small collection of Colt New Frontier .22s one of which is a New Frontier with the cross bolt safety. You all are right,it made little sense to put out the adjustable sighted N.F. in .22 LR only.I bought it used because it looked unshot after the factory, the price was right and it kind of "completes" the N.F. collection. Nick

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Colt did some strange things. It made no sense to bring back the New Frontier but not the peacemaker. It also never made sense to shorten the barrel to 4 1/4 from 4 3/4 so the ejector rod was the same length as the barrel. Would have made more sense to lengthen the ejector rod. It always amazed me that Colt never figured out how to bring these revolvers back, as well as adding a stainless version .Colt likes to pride itself on the SAA and now the resurrected New Frontier. Colt handguns are now a niche rather than a mass market. Bet Colt fans would have no problem paying $750 -800 for a 22 Peacemaker or New Frontier to go with their full size versions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts