Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into a friendly but excited argument with my Engineer on a train today (I'm a freight Conductor), he huffed and puffed about his beloved Super Redhawk. Of course, ole' Dad had to put the Anaconda smack down on him. So, what is the consensus? I expect that since this site is all about Colt then the opinion will be slanted, but what do you guys think? Accuracy, weight, finish, overall performance.

·
Registered
491 Posts
strength and durability goes to the Super Redhawk slightly; better looks, trigger and action definitely Andaconda. Me, I bought an Andaconda. Don't want a big clunker of a gun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amen Brother, Amen.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have a Redhawk (non-super) and it has a lighter double action than my Anaconda, but the Anaconda has the superior single action. Looks go to the Anaconda, but they both shoot about the same. Can't comment on strength as I haven't hurt either one and they both look like strong guns. The Anaconda (4") is quite a bit lighter than the Redhawk (5.5"). Honestly the Redhawk was the better bang for the buck, I got a clean one for $425; can't find an Anaconda for double that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I submit this post to this thread while doning my fire proof nomex suit. I purchased a super redhawk with the nine and a half inch barrel (used for $300 many years ago). It also had the integral mounts for the scope.
My cousin had a nice anaconda as well.
My super got triggered ( hold the hammer against the trigger lightly and repeatedly pull trigger to fit the sear surface, probably out of boredom as well as admiration for the gun as well". It had the sweetest smoothest trigger pull.
With open sights the super was way easier to perforate oil filter size targets off hand at a hundred yards then the anaconda. Offhand shots on stray cats and other animals the super had a better feel as well. I can not make a scope comparison because the anaconda did not have one. The super, having integral mounts made far more marketing sense as well.
The anaconda was a good looking firearm but in my book takes back seat to super redhawk any day in value, feel and utility hands down.:p:eek:

A near complete physical diminishment in physical ability with an diagnosis of MS foolishly mad me think I needed to sell my handguns which I did-bah umbug, But feeling a lot better with some increased mobility and some holsters and renewed ability to get around and shoot hand guns, I felt fine enough to buy some fresh handguns- hence getting a MK III project and taking Dad's NIB Python out and running rounds through it. I have become very familiar with Colt wheel guns and like them immensely. However I still think the super is a fine fine 44 mag!

I missed the 44 mag so I got a vintage Desert Eagle cause the guy would'nt sell the super back! boo hoo

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had an Anaconda about ten years ago but the trigger was much rougher than it shoulda been so I sold it. Wish I'd had it fixed cause they're nice looking guns and they go for big bucks now but I'm happy with my relatively inexpensive 4" 45 colt Ruger-Anaconda. A short 45 colt Anaconda went for $3k on Gunbroker the other day. Crazy.

Colt Anaconda 45LC 4" SS NIB : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'4" 45 colt Ruger-Anaconda"?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm kinda curious, now that it has been brought up- which is more accurate?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Never owned an Anaconda but I have a Super Redhawk.
It IS one funny looking revolver but it is only slightly less durable than an 5 lb sledge hammer and about as strong.
The action has been cleaned up and is "decent" at best but it's accuracy is surprisingly good.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I really like both guns.I owned a straight Redhawk a few years back and it was very durable and accurate.I currently have an 8" Anaconda but don't like it as well as I did the Redhawk.The Colt isn't quite as accurate but it does have better balance,trigger and looks but for durability,accuracy and value I'll have to go with the Redhawk.I will most likely sell my Anaconda since my stiff and constantly sore hands can't handle the 44mag.recoil any longer.:(D*

·
Registered
640 Posts
Back in 1979, I placed My name on a "Redhawk WTB list" at 2 different gunshops.
During mid-1982, a Redhawk arrived at one of the shops, but the owner took dibs on that gun.
The following year, (October), My Redhawk 7-1/2" barreled 44 mag finally arrived.
I promptly sold My Super Blackhawk to a co-worker, (who still owns the gun), to help defray the cost of the new gun.
That Redhawk has dropped a pile of while-tail deer, mostly bucks, and has accompanied me on many a shooting excursion.
Had I the funds during the Anaconda's hey-day, I would have bought a new one, way back when.
I did buy a used 8" barreled 44 mag Anaconda last fall, but the gun was in disasterous condition, so I sent it back for a refund.

Doing a side by side comparison, the Redhawk and Anaconda were nearly equal in size and weight, though I did not care for the undersized grip frame of the Colt.
My Redhawk's action is well-tuned, hence, I couldn't fairly compare the Colt & Ruger actions for smoothness, and WOP.
All in all, I'd say the Colt is better looking, sans the grips, and I much prefer the Colt's cylinder latch to that of any make revolver.
I also own an earlier Smith 629-1, so I have had all 3 USA built, DA guns to compare.
IMO, when comparing those guns , Smith & Wesson N frames have the finest SA trigger, hands down, the Anaconda action can't even come close SA, but the Mark V double action pull is very respectable.
I'd still love to buy another big Colt, though somehow, someway, I'm hoping that Colt will begin manufacture of those Anacondas and perhaps the King Cobras once again.
This time around, I'd snap one up!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL! Looks like My Anaconda humped (ahem, eloped) with my buddy's S.R.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When the S&W M29's were on the black market for $650+ during the dirty harry movies I send ruger and colt letters about offering a larger frame revolver in 44mag. I suggested to ruger to super size a security six in 44mag. And to colt to super size a python in 44mag. Ruger said they did intend to offer a larger double action revolver in 44mag. I love my two redhawks, 5 1/2'' and 7 1/2'' barrels in stainless. Colt got back to me and said they had no plans of ever offering a revolver in 44mag. I have the letters here somewhere. I wonder why colt changed there minds. After owning a brand new puthon in the 70s that had cylinder timing problems buying a 44mag from colt just wasn't going to happen. Right now i'm buying the new S&W N Frames one at a time. I just got a S&W m57 & m58 in 41mag. What an awesome caliber.

The m58 S&W had a better trigger over the M57 S&W but putting some moly on the sear made it equal in trigger pull and smoothness.

I did pick up a ruger super blackhawk in 44mag with a 10 1/2'' barrel for handgun hunting.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I typed out a long response, but to save us all a lot of hogwash you need both. Or better yet you need a S&W on top of those two for a well rounded trio.

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK Dad, heres the one and only TRUTH about which gun will out shoot the other. It flat out depends on whos holding the gun. I shoot best with a S&W 44 model 29. I have shot the Anaconda, didnt like it. The Ruger,,,,,,,,,,,,well thats another story. My whole point is, the gun is only as good as the shooter useing it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts