Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Colt Python Community,

I have recently joined the Python club by picking up a 1974 8" Blued Python I plan on using for hunting.

I recently just gave it its first deep cleaning and noticed the chips in the blue on the pictures below.

Is this common?
What should I do to possibly prevent rust?

Other than this "issue" the gun is in amazing condition.

I just want to continue to take good care of it.

I confirmed on the pictures I took weeks ago before I took ownership that this was on it - but not as noticeable as the gun was not rubbed down a few times with oil as regular as I have done in the past few days.

Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
This is not chipping in the blue. The blue is basically a die that the steal goes through by the blueing process. What you are observing is not avoidable since that is where the crane of the cylinder makes contact with the frame when opened completely. This is common with all swing out type revolvers. It is a moving part there for this can't be avoided except when and only when it is never being fired. If you clean it and oil it and your not going to shoot it, it won't occur and won't have any more marks than what currently exists. Hope this helps in understanding swing out revolvers.

Reactions: colt03

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
indeed. Bluing is a controlled oxidation/rust process that is stopped by neutralizing the salt mixture once the proper shade of blue is obtained. Since it is only a "stain" on the surface of the metal (and maybe a thousandth or so deep, it is easily removed by abrasion or other physical contact. Just keep the gun lubricated and rust will not be a problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a small rust on the barrel and tried to remove it with WD-40 but the result wasn't as good as I expected. So, would that affects the firing accuracy or not? will the oil prevent the rust from spreading out? what is your advice to remove it?

excuse my weak English

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
The bore is rusting from not being oiled. It's "in the white", unfinished in there. So humidity will cause it to get a surface rust, if not oiled after cleaning. Next time you shoot and clean, just run a lightly oiled patch down the bore. You can do that before shooting a few times, it should mostly come out. If left for long, this is how bores get ruined.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I have a small rust on the barrel and tried to remove it with WD-40 but the result wasn't as good as I expected. So, would that affects the firing accuracy or not? will the oil prevent the rust from spreading out? what is your advice to remove it?

excuse my weak English

WD-40 is a lousy rust preventative. Try Eezox.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
We're splittin' hairs here, men.
There is absolutely nothin' wrong with those revolvers that ordinary care in handling will not solve.
Run 'em.
Run 'em hard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Shooting lead through the barrel 50 to 100 times should clean that out and lubricate it! Nothing bad. Better than on the outside bluing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That rust is nothing in my opinion. It won't hurt the accuracy and it will more than likely disappear first time you shoot it.
The bore is rusting from not being oiled. It's "in the white", unfinished in there. So humidity will cause it to get a surface rust, if not oiled after cleaning. Next time you shoot and clean, just run a lightly oiled patch down the bore. You can do that before shooting a few times, it should mostly come out. If left for long, this is how bores get ruined.

excuse my weak English

Shooting lead through the barrel 50 to 100 times should clean that out and lubricate it! Nothing bad. Better than on the outside bluing.
Thank you guys for your help. Sure I ordered Eezox from Ebay. The rust was caused from the last owner. He looks like careless and didn't take care for the chest the he had. Anyway the rust came out after several times of cleaning and five shots. Here is the result

Attachments

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Regular Hoppie's with a brass brush would have removed that without any issue as well. No sweating that minor issue. Now that you have fired that rosco what was your results like? We don't want to grovel over the cleaning we want to see targets. This here is a show and tell forum so unless we see some targets then it never happened. No fish stories.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts