Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never shot or used a 1903 .32 caliber pistol in my lifetime. But today my LGS unwrapped this little pistol from Colt that was such a little beauty in it's standard blued finish. It was so light, and all rollmarks so sharp and deep. The wood grips with Colt medallions were soo fine. I can't imagine any .32 caliber to do anything other than cause shallow puncture wounds so why was this issued to General Officers? Any way I couldn't resist and put this in layaway for my Christmas gift or Chinese Flu gift later.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
They were intended for squirrels and such. Everyone knows the .32 ACP and .32 S&W were made for snakes and mice. Never for war or police use. *

* .32 was the 2nd most common military and police round in Europe for decades. The .32 revolver cartridge was often used by police departments in the 1890s-1930s. Colt referred to the .32 S&W Long cartridge as the .32 "Colt's New Police" cartridge.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The General Officers pistols were issued more as a badge or rank rather than a weapon they were expected to go forth into battle with. Their issue wasn't started until the 1943/44 time period, and by this time the General wasn't expected to lead his men into battle.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
German and Japanese senior officers often wore .32s and even .25s as symbols of rank - the Americans were no different.

'Combat' GOs are often seen with a .45, and Mark Clark carried a Model 1917, but those 'in the rear with the gear' are seen with their little .32s.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another point of slight interest is the serial number, it is 13..... The LGS was fascinated as well as I when we examined this fine looking specimen. I went home and Googled the US Armaments production of this Colt under license of Colt Firearms. Why or how this happened is a curiosity of mine. Everything stated by the reviews and usage on the ranges by others seems to be very positive. One of the facts stated by Colt specs is the absence of plastic or MIM parts. Anyway, I look forward to taking it home in the near future. Pretty stoked up about my new items to add to my collection. Even a Winchester Deluxe Edition Model 94 with laser engraving all over the receiver, but that's for a discussion later.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Another point of slight interest is the serial number, it is 13..... The LGS was fascinated as well as I when we examined this fine looking specimen. I went home and Googled the US Armaments production of this Colt under license of Colt Firearms. Why or how this happened is a curiosity of mine. Everything stated by the reviews and usage on the ranges by others seems to be very positive. One of the facts stated by Colt specs is the absence of plastic or MIM parts. Anyway, I look forward to taking it home in the near future. Pretty stoked up about my new items to add to my collection. Even a Winchester Deluxe Edition Model 94 with laser engraving all over the receiver, but that's for a discussion later.
Congrats on an excellent score Sarge...!!

When you're tired of the that wimpy caliber...please let me know
...for the obvious ( cough 13 cough ) reason.

Thanks Brother

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also was attracted to this because it seemed very substantial in my hands yet very light and compact. I've had a few "pocket" pistols in the past but this model I never held before and can see the appeal of a nicely finished semi-auto pistol. Of course this one is strictly for close up work. Thanks for the interest on my post and kind replies!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Did you get a pic of it? To me there were 2 changes that I kept insisting on and these seemed to have been made in the second run. There was the "ball relief cut" and the slide relief cuts for the safety. The only thing I would prefer them to work on is the better mating of the slide/receiver in the back.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
I also was attracted to this because it seemed very substantial in my hands yet very light and compact. I've had a few "pocket" pistols in the past but this model I never held before and can see the appeal of a nicely finished semi-auto pistol. Of course this one is strictly for close up work. Thanks for the interest on my post and kind replies!
Exactly why it was called the Colt Model M 1903 Pocket Hammerless...

My circa 1920 Colt Model M 1908 Pocket Hammerless in .380 ACP :

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Looks pretty good. I see you got the version with the updates. I still wish they would take more care in fitting the slide /frame together. Is your mag release catch crooked ?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks pretty good. I see you got the version with the updates. I still wish they would take more care in fitting the slide /frame together. Is your mag release catch crooked ?
Could be, but I'll have to wait until I get it out of layaway before I do a detailed review and disassembly when I bring it home.

Reactions: ei8ht
1 - 20 of 36 Posts