Colt Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Did any one notice the serial number? 0013GOP, General Officers Pistol ?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
It's good to see thise coming around on the secondary market at reasonable cost.
The MnP04 looks real good. Some of the ater WWII GO pistols were parkerized and had a nice utility appearance.
Now, as for the .32 acp.....You may think it is a pipsqueak, but don't stand in front of it. It is probably 2nd place behind .38 special in terms of the number of folks who have been dispatched by handgun in the last century. It shoots easy, and is easy to conceal.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Concerning the serial number, the ones I have seen have GOPXXXX as the way it is stamped. This one is opposite. Have you contacted Brent at US Armaments to asked for clarification?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Concerning the serial number, the ones I have seen have GOPXXXX as the way it is stamped. This one is opposite. Have you contacted Brent at US Armaments to asked for clarification?
No contact, it's either an anomaly or stamped in error, or a change during production. But it's mine now.

Reactions: deyomatic

·
Registered
53 Posts
They were intended for squirrels and such. Everyone knows the .32 ACP and .32 S&W were made for snakes and mice. Never for war or police use. *

* .32 was the 2nd most common military and police round in Europe for decades. The .32 revolver cartridge was often used by police departments in the 1890s-1930s. Colt referred to the .32 S&W Long cartridge as the .32 "Colt's New Police" cartridge.
Never depend on it for defense, of course, unless you can put the first one in his eye. Enjoy the gun for what it is, a piece of history and a classic Colt design. I've always admired them, but never owned one. I carried a 1911 for years, but finally settled on a smaller 9 MM that is easier to conceal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Surprised to see such a nice one as shown above for only $700. Weren’t these $1000 new when released? 1903’s are truly classic and beautiful designs. Amazing what John Browning was able to create well over 100 years ago.

Skirmisher

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine is the standard blued model with hard rubber grips -- a sweet little plinker. But I'm with Oberon about the caliber. The .32 ACP was standard police issue in pre-WWII Europe, and -- along with the .38 Colt Dick Special -- the sidearm of choice for plain-clothes police use here too. I've known several US LEOs who carried them as back-ups. The Winchester .32 ACP SIlvertip may not be up to a .380 or 9mm, but it's nothing to laugh at either. And if you want to see the 1903 in "action," tune into any Bogart or Dick Powell 1930s film noir flicks -- they were in the coat pocket of every gangster and private dick for a good reason.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should have a lot of fun with that! Really excellent craftsmanship on those Colts.

Note that these fine pistols were also issued to non-general officers during WWII. I have a beauty that was issued to my cousin Ernie in 1945. He was an ETO B-24 Liberator pilot flying out of England, and he carried this piece on missions in a shoulder holster, which I have.

I also have the Certificate of Purchase documenting his acquisition of this weapon from the Springfield Ordnance Depot on 21 February 1946 for the princely sum of $28.75.

I guess I should do photo thread on this, yes?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts