Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I had an original '56 I have since sold, and the finish appears (to me) different than what I had on my old Python. The corners were sharper, and it appears to be the more modern blueing Colt offers these days, instead of the older, blacker old Colt finish.... JMO They don't show any close up shots of the Pony to see if it's stamping is thinned out any. It's still a nice looking old Colt, but appears to be a facory refinish.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Back when the seller bought this gun on Gunbroker there was a debate about weather or not it would be refinished and offered again....Well here ya go. Bought it nice and honest wear and now it is near perfect! I thought it wouldn't surface until January, he was really on the ball with this one.

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
Too "soft" and too "shiny." Definitely not original. (Marc apparently knows the pedigree of every early Python that has ever been auctioned off on GunBroker!) What a shame that a nice original has now been ruined. Perhaps the ignorant will run up the final price, but I will be interested to know if the final price equals the original purchase price, plus the refinish cost. Marc, what was the original selling price?

Is anybody (maybe everybody?) going to contact the seller and suggest that the fact that the gun is refinished should be disclosed?

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Back when the seller bought this gun on Gunbroker there was a debate about weather or not it would be refinished and offered again....Well here ya go. Bought it nice and honest wear and now it is near perfect! I thought it wouldn't surface until January, he was really on the ball with this one.
I was betting around income tax rebate time ;) but we were both off. This fella decided we must have short memories and didn't want any grass growing under his feet.
The pictures are just far enough to cast doubt but not too close to remove all doubt as to the refinish. Masterfully done photography on that part. She's a redone and will go for a pretty penny to the unenlightened....

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Check Out The Sights

I agree with others that this 57 is a refinish special. I would love to find the archived thread and am planning to search for it.

This Python has another very conflicting characteristic. Take a look at the correct profile front sight and the height of the ramp and blade. Seems to be identical to my 1957 SN 41XX. Now examine the odd "second generation" rear sight ramp. I would conclude the rear sight was modified at some point.

Here are a couple of photos of mine for comparison:

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
In regard to the rear sight, perhaps the transition form the "flat" rear sight body to the "humped" rear sight body occurred in the 1,000 guns between 41XX and 51XX. There would seem to be no reason to change the sights even though the subject gun is refinished.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
In regard to the rear sight, perhaps the transition form the "flat" rear sight body to the "humped" rear sight body occurred in the 1,000 guns between 41XX and 51XX. There would seem to be no reason to change the sights even though the subject gun is refinished.
For the longest time I believed when the change to the rear sight occurred, the front sight blade height and the dimensions of the barrel ramp, also changed. After going back though my photos and taking a look at my 1960 Python, I was wrong (I mis-remembered). These Python modifications were done independently from one another and years apart. I see photos of 1959 Pythons that have the same barrel ramp configuration, front sight blade, and rear sight as the subject refinished Python. Specifically here is what I found:

SN 8607 from 1959 - "1st generation" front ramp and front sight blade with "2nd generation" rear sight (both features like subject refinished Python).
SN 11211 from 1960 - "2nd generation" lower front barrel ramp and higher front sight blade with "2nd generation" rear sight.

So the complete transition would have occurred between these two serial numbers and the subject refinished Python is correct (so too is JudgeColt).

Sorry for my confusing and incorrect post.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
I think I remember that discussion.Lots of sharks in the water these days.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Prior to the end of the auction I sent him an e-mail asking about the original box/papers. and if it had been refinished... below was his (Robert Grant) reply.

Hi Jeff, Nope, no box or papers. That's really rare to find an old one with a box. It's in beautiful condition. I'm not 100% sure that it's the original finish. Could have been re- done by one of it's previous owners. If that matters a lot, bid accordingly. Hope this helps you. Thanks, bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts