Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Python 2 1/2 \" date of manufacture and value

I have a Python 2 1/2" that is blue finish with serial number 733xx. Gun is about 98% with no box. An old blue book mentions something about add 50% if early production with high polish finish, is there a way to tell the finish with a marking on the gun of some sort? I noticed a "B" stamped on the left side of the frame just behind the trigger guard. What would this gun currently be worth? Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Re: Python 2 1/2 \" date of manufacture and value

i get 1967,to my thinking all blued pythons have the high polish finish. there is a slight premium for pre letter serials.i wont guess a value as all colts are rising rapidly, a year ago i would have said 1000 +/- 250$. the b stamped on the rear of t/g is an inspector stamp and has no meaning.oh yeah, welcome to the forum /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the info. I might post a pic soon. how hard are the 2.5" to find? I might get a 6" from my dad so i'm not sure if I should hang on to the 2.5".

·
Banned
1,129 Posts

any colt d/a revolver is "money in the bank" as they are no longer produced, my advice hold on to it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts

I am sure there are several Colt forum members that would gladly relieve you of your 2-1/2" Python for a couple of hundred over the blue book price.

Seriously, it's worth about $1,500.00+ if it is in the shape you say it is. We have a similar old one, and I would not part with it for less than that.

If you dad gives you the 6", looks like you have the start of a nice Python collection.

Should you want to sell them, put them on one of the auction sites. Auction Arms, or Gunbroker.

BTW, welcome to the forum. You have a nice daddy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts