Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was at the LGS today looking and came across two Pythons.
1st is a 6inch gun, E prefix serial number. Gun is a shooter and shows some wear. Has what appears to be nice non-factory wood grips.(coco) maybe. Also has the hole (with plug) in the top strap for a scope. The kicker is it also comes with what appears to be a unfired or VERY low round count mint condition 2.5in barrel. Asking $1600 for this one. Any way to know if it is a factory snubby or a factory 6 inch without lettering it? What would the value of just the barrel be? Also comes with a trigger shoe and a nice wood presentation box. $1600 sound like too much? Just wanting some opinions on this one. Thanks

Also have a 4 inch in nice shape. It is a shooter as well, some bluing wear, rubber grips, lockup and timing are great. This one in is overall better condition. $1200 is asking price on it. This one also has a E prefix serial.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My bad --- missed that you were looking for info on the extra barrel instead of the gun.

It's a long shot, but you could run the serial number against the Colt Serial Number Lookup
Colt Firearm Serial Number Lookup - Year of Manufacture

Some serial numbers will also return a model number. For your gun, you would be looking for an I36xy model where
x = barrel length
y = finish

Also, remember that this serial number database is not as definitive as an archive letter.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
The one being drilled and tapped really hurts it badly. I agree with eccollision, it was very possibly born with the 2.5 inch barrel since its obvious the 6 inch isn't original. However with the hole, that hurts it real bad. No original grips on either one, I believe I would go after the 4 inch on a package deal with the 2.5 inch barrel if you want one as a shooter. I would forget about the 6 inch gun/Frame, JMHO. The 2.5 inch barrel will probably bring a few hundred, I don't keep up with barrel prices much though, but I believe it will bring at least that if its that clean.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one being drilled and tapped really hurts it badly. I agree with eccollision, it was very possibly born with the 2.5 inch barrel since its obvious the 6 inch isn't original. However with the hole, that hurts it real bad. No original grips on either one, I believe I would go after the 4 inch on a package deal with the 2.5 inch barrel if you want one as a shooter. I would forget about the 6 inch gun/Frame, JMHO. The 2.5 inch barrel will probably bring a few hundred, I don't keep up with barrel prices much though, but I believe it will bring at least that if its that clean.
Thanks, already asked about getting the 2.5 inch with the 4 inch gun. Not happening.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Do you guys think $2700 for the pair is out of line? I personally think its steep for the condition but you all know better than me. Thanks
What you have is 2 shooter grade Pythons. Offer $2500 for the whole package. Sell the barrel for a couple of hundred and then you have about $1100 into each. Could even sell one of the Pythons and make a few hundred more and end up with a shooter for $1000. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
What you have is 2 shooter grade Pythons. Offer $2500 for the whole package. Sell the barrel for a couple of hundred and then you have about $1100 into each. Could even sell one of the Pythons and make a few hundred more and end up with a shooter for $1000. Not a bad deal.
I agree with hookedon1911s, offer $2500 or even less for the pair, then sell the barrel separate, then sell the 6", and in the end you have a nice shooter 4" for $1000 or less.

Or, if you don't want the hassle of selling things off just get the 4" and leave 6". The 6" has too much baggage and not worth the asking price IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
I dont think that 6 inch gun is worth 1000 with obvious barrel change and drilled frame. The 2 inch barrel would bring more than 200-300. Your call. jmho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.