Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Python 2.5 in. Blued, My Question, Ref: to Left Side Rear Screw just Above Stock, should this screw be Domed Head as all the other screws?? Would think 2.5 leaving Colt with Service Stocks this Screw would be Domed Head as all the other screws. Seen 2.5 with Domed and Flat Head in this location.
Can anyone help with this question?
Thanks
John

·
Premium Member
21,818 Posts
The screw on the left side that would be covered with target stocks is flat, for that very reason-it gets covered and would prevent the stocks from fitting.
With service stocks, like one usually finds on a 2-1/2" gun, that screw is left exposed and looks a bit strange, but it is correct.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Thank You all for your help, also wbray1966, Thanks for posting the GB 2 1/2. That explains my question.
Here is a 2 1/2 on GB with Flathead screw rear side plate and the other screws are domed. Do you think this left Colt with service stocks of target stocks??

COLT PYTHON 2 1/2" BLUE UNFIRED W/BOX : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
I would have to say that if this Python left the factory with a 2 1/2" barrel, and a flat screw, then it would have also left the factory with Target Stocks. Given the large number of fake Python packages, I would view the mis-match of the screw/Stocks as a warning that the Python might not letter as a 2 1/2", or someone has switched the Stocks. If it would letter as leaving the factory with a 2 1/2" barrel, then I would suggest it also left the factory with Target Stocks, like this authentic NIB, 2 1/2" barrel Python (Photos and Python compliments of John Fugate):

·
Premium Member
21,818 Posts
The screw on the left side that would be covered with target stocks is flat, for that very reason-it gets covered and would prevent the stocks from fitting.
With service stocks, like one usually finds on a 2-1/2" gun, that screw is left exposed and looks a bit strange, but it is correct.
With the more recent comment by Forum members who know much about Pythons (as compared to me). I agree that the Python with such a flat head screw left the factory with target stocks. As they also stated, many Pythons have seen modifications over the years.
That reminds me of the fellow who said his hatchet was the one used by George Washington to cut down the Cherry Tree. Of course it has had five new heads and ten new handles since then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.