Colt Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 2597 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quien sabe

I think he meant grips. I've heard all kinds of ideas on what type of wood they are or they aren't. In a YouTube video the VP of Colt said that they're walnut.

Colt Python Holstered.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anyone who would pay over $1500.00 for a new python deserves to be parted from their money. Its new, not a collectible, nor will it be for years.
I couldn’t agree more. “Collectibility“ is MARKET driven. It’s not something that can be created. Presently there is nothing collectible about the “new python“. It is a current production offering and anybody can buy one today, tomorrow or in the foreseeable future. And because it is in current production, depreciation comes into play. Once a round is fired, it is a used gun and by definition not worth as much as a brand new one. Don’t get me wrong, a month ago I would have picked one up just for the heck of it and add it to my current collection of Pythons but I’m having second thoughts these days. The teething problems aside, I’m trying to figure out why this is a $1500 gun instead of a run of the mill $850 premium revolver. The only thing it has in common with original pythons is the general appearance and “Python” stamped on the barrel. Is that worth the extra money? Right now, the market says yes. Only time will tell if this continues but from the standpoint of this consumer, the bloom is coming off the rose rapidly.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Anyone who would pay over $1500.00 for a new python deserves to be parted from their money. Its new, not a collectible, nor will it be for years.
Deserve is the wrong word. Implies poor decision making. Choice is a better word. I chose to pay over MSRP for a variety of reasons that others may or may not agree with. First brand new gun I have purchased in over 10 years.

Didn't buy it as an investment, and have over 500 rounds through it......and it has no issues....not a single loose screw, no crown marks, no this....no that.....no problems. The gun is a champ and is every bit as solid as my legacy Pythons from 68 and 79. The 1971 2.5 inch doesn't get shot.....she is a bit too pretty to shoot:)

·
Registered
474 Posts
look more like walnut stained LAMINATE like a Boyd’s gun stock.
The wood is a laminate and it is difficult to tell the specie without the article in hand but it surely looks like walnut stained birch. At all events, not something that should be on a class act handgun.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
The wood is a laminate and it is difficult to tell the specie without the article in hand but it surely looks like walnut stained birch. At all events, not something that should be on a class act handgun.
I'm pretty sure most handgun makers use laminated wood grips now. I know Springfield and Smith & Wesson do, at least on some of their guns.

·
Registered
498 Posts
In your opinion. Times changes. Looks good on my 6 inch and picking up my 4.25 tomorrow. May replace with custom screwbean mesquite but they look good and feel great.

·
Registered
86 Posts
...picking up my 4.25 tomorrow. May replace with custom screwbean mesquite but they look good and feel great.
Good luck tomorrow! Yes, please tell us where you get screwbean mesquite grips. They sound interesting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Every time I take mine to the gun club, I hear nothing but good things about the gun and the grips from the members. I personally love the grips. I know the manufacturer has a special way of making them that makes them look smooth. I couldn't tell they were laminates, even when I took them apart.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
When I first got my Python, I was somewhat disappointed with the grips. I don't know what i was expecting, but it wasn't what I got. However, the more I look at them, and more importantly use them, the better I like them. I had thought about replacing them, but now, I just don't see any reason too.

If they're a laminate, I sure can't tell it. I picture laminate as looking like those green/black Ruger 10/22 stocks, or Heritage 22 grips.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The point being solid grips on new S&W 568.. unlike colt new python laminated grip.. I picked that up quick.. Congrats on the revolver baggy270

·
Registered
498 Posts
Good luck tomorrow! Yes, please tell us where you get screwbean mesquite grips. They sound interesting.
Thanks--been at the ranch last week got back yesterday and going back in a couple of days for another 4 days :( tired. Have a call into Jill at Hogue to see if they can do it. If they cannot my custom revolver Smith can, in fact made them before for me. I have a few of the rifle blanks and a couple warped a little while curing the last 10 years--stuff is a PIA but worth it. :) Even have a custom 308 Marlin built with it by Marlin and documented lol!

Will most likely pick it up tomorrow as it is not delivered yet showing"On FedEx vehicle for delivery" .

2061 - 2080 of 2597 Posts