Colt Forum banner

2121 - 2140 of 2684 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Interesting picture I found while looking at S&W revolvers...

To everyone complaining about the Python sights, the target sights on this S&W are VERY similar to the new Python ones. I also saw a bunch of S&W's with the dotcode laser-etched on them, including my brand new SW22 Victory.

Weird that Colt is held to a higher standard even though S&W revolvers are "better."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
Is that a gun sock? Where did you get it?
The brand name is called Bore Stores. I believe mine is the model P4 for the 7 x 12 Large revolver.
I think mine was purchased from Brownells and can be purchased directly from the manufacturer website.
Its protects very well. It’s nearly as protective as a soft sided pistol case with its thickness, has a thick pile lining. but it’s designed to breath to not trap moisture against the gun and synthetic material that’s silicone impregnated also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting picture I found while looking at S&W revolvers...

To everyone complaining about the Python sights, the target sights on this S&W are VERY similar to the new Python ones. I also saw a bunch of S&W's with the dotcode laser-etched on them, including my brand new SW22 Victory.

Weird that Colt is held to a higher
standard even though S&W revolvers are
L"better."
Yes they are similar but without the set screw to lock them in place, detent instead.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
I got through to Colt with a short wait time just now. I was inquiring on what was done to my python, in the event that Colt documents it. They do not. The fixer(s) are union workers and not a part of the computer system that the customer service folks use when accounting for the issues and gun check-in/RMA process. It was worth a shot. He just said that along with the muzzle fix they would have installed some updated parts to assure its function.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got through to Colt with a short wait time just now. I was inquiring on what was done to my python, in the event that Colt documents it. They do not. The fixer(s) are union workers and not a part of the computer system that the customer service folks use when accounting for the issues and gun check-in/RMA process. It was worth a shot. He just said that along with the muzzle fix they would have installed some updated parts to assure its function.
This entire Python disaster demonstrates that Colt may not be able to re-emerge successfully. Their private equity owners will be better of licensing the brand name to Ruger who will make really great commemorative firearms of the good old days in a non-union environment under the Pony brand. I'd rush and buy a revolver and a 1911. Imagine a Colt Koenig hybrid and a forged frame 454 Anaconda...no limits to the success here. Remember, you read it here first.

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
This entire Python disaster demonstrates that Colt may not be able to re-emerge successfully. Their private equity owners will be better of licensing the brand name to Ruger who will make really great commemorative firearms of the good old days in a non-union environment under the Pony brand. I'd rush and buy a revolver and a 1911. Imagine a Colt Koenig hybrid and a forged frame 454 Anaconda...no limits to the success here. Remember, you read it here first.
Gotta disagree. I don't look at it as a disaster...it's a bump in the road...a bump that should never have happened and heads should roll for it. In the past pre-internet, pre-YouTube days things would happen and the public generally knew little of it. Now...every yahoo with a smart phone gets on YouTube whining and crying and it unfortunately makes things look dire. I'm not minimizing the problem...just trying to keep things in perspective. Colt by all reports seems to be stepping up and making good on their product. Again...they never should have allowed it to happen and it is affecting production of new Pythons. But the problems will be gone and production will be up and running again.

I don't know nor does anyone likely know (outside of Colt) the actual numbers or percentage of new Pythons that need work. The Python I bought in January has none of the issues...it's beautifully assembled with no flaws. It's proven completely reliable and more accurate than I can hold. Am I simply lucky or did I buy the anomaly? I doubt it...I think the majority of the several thousand new Pythons built thus far have been trouble free.

Colt has challenges to face...no one argues otherwise. It's still an open question whether the company has a long-term ability to survive but once the company gets this issue behind them the subject can be revisited.

·
Registered
559 Posts
:) This is no longer 1962... Pretty funny post actually. Talk about a reaching overreaction. With everything going on I needed some comedic relief. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Snidely Whiplash has a point. Before the internet, none of the current Python's issues would have become common knowledge. We would have been limited to whatever information the gun magazine writers had decided not to conceal and after a delay the pistols would have suddenly appear on the shelves in quantity.

Case in point was S&W's much ballyhooed release of their 645 semi-auto. The pistol was on the front cover of every gun magazine imaginable - and then nothing.
I wanted one in the worst way (I still have it) and I pestered every FFL that I knew of trying to get one. Every month I checked the same gun magazines for more information on when the 645 was going to be released - crickets. Gun store rumors hinted at a "delay" with not specified reasons.
Then about a year later 645s started to show up by the truckload and everybody was happy.

Using that as a benchmark, I'd say that Colt has done very well. Sure, they really stepped on their crank, but the fixes are out already with the expectation of smooth sailing going forward. S&W obviously stepped on their crank back in the 1980s with the into of the 645, but nothing was really said about it in public and it took about a year for S&W to start reliable shipments.

Reactions: Troystat

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hadn't seen that yet, Denpython. Thanks! I'll be looking forward to my next edition of the American Rifleman.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone else’s Python have these lines inside the trigger guard? Perhaps some tool chatter. You may have to blow up the pic to see them better.

F0C83216-E07C-4358-8C4E-D404047E1177.jpg

Also here is before and after on my crown issue:
A9896185-CE20-46E2-98DE-005E77C87822.jpg EF43CE5F-08D6-41A0-A486-A74E5B0DDDD9.jpg

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
I looked at my new Python and don't see any marks like that. I would think that should polish out without too much effort.

The muzzle crown looks so much better now. Colt did a good job correcting but as it's said before...it never should have happened to begin with.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I looked at my new Python and don't see any marks like that. I would think that should polish out without too much effort.

The muzzle crown looks so much better now. Colt did a good job correcting but as it's said before...it never should have happened to begin with.
No sir--new barrel.

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
No sir--new barrel.
Even better. The bad barrels that get replaced should be display mounted at every assembly station as a reminder.

2121 - 2140 of 2684 Posts