Colt Forum banner

2181 - 2200 of 2708 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Python was returned with the original grips. I know this because I lightly scuffed them under the grip when I removed them before I sent it back, and the same scuff is still there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone here have either the fiber optic or night sight on their Pythons already? What about the brass sight?

Any pictures?

I'm kinda feeling the fiber optic would work well, but I love night sights. I just usually see night sights on the rear to match. Just looking for ideas and reviews.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hootch,

Thanks a million for the heads up! I'm not sure exactly which vendor you're referring to, but I checked Brownells and ordered on from there. They were out of stock earlier in the week.

No problem. you found the website I was referring to, I wasnt sure if I was allowed to post vendor names or not. I figured most would know who the two parts vendors for Colt is!

Now I cant decide if I want the fiber optic or tritium sight might as well get both in true fashion :)

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
I'm waiting for either Colt or an aftermarket sight maker to market a tritium rear night sight for the Python and King Cobra Target before putting a tritium front sight on my Python.

Reactions: Burgs and Hootch

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm waiting for either Colt or an aftermarket sight maker to market a tritium rear night sight for the Python and King Cobra Target before putting a tritium front sight on my Python.
I agree a matching tritium rear site would be awesome, Im sure in time someone hopefully will offer one along with some other rear site options.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone here have either the fiber optic or night sight on their Pythons already? What about the brass sight?

Any pictures?

I'm kinda feeling the fiber optic would work well, but I love night sights. I just usually see night sights on the rear to match. Just looking for ideas and reviews.
I could be wrong but as far as I know this is the first time the cobra sights that are compatible with the python have been available in stock since the Python was released. I have been looking and they have been out of stock since I got my python the first week of January (At least I have not been able to find them until now)

I as well would love to see some pics of Pythons wearing the different sights. Now that they are available Im sure in the next week or two there will be some pictures of them starting to pop up in this thread.

·
Premium Member
7,376 Posts
Hootch, I believe you are correct about the front sight availability. I got one from Brownells back when they first released for the new Cobra the other year. I started looking again when it got found out that there was compatibility with the new python. Even with a discount code, your talking $80 bucks give or take for the night sight.. so I’m not exactly buying up a pocket full of extras. Just getting what I’m gonna use. I haven’t seen them available anywhere else, so I’m thinking Folks still wipe out stock sort of quickly. Again, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If I had a Python, based on what I've read here, I would be tempted to send the gun back with no grips.
Good Lord YES the grips are numbered anyone have a clue as to why? :) Just to make sure when they are cut into halves during manufacture by the maker they stay together so they match. It really is just that simple:eek:. Same thing is done to knife scales, two piece rifle blanks and shotgun stocks.

·
Premium Member
7,376 Posts
Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification, Dave.
Just for the sake of conversation, I noticed that there is a much larger number also printed on the inside of both grips. I should have took a pic but didn’t. It was like a big number 2. I figure the manufacturer model number of the grip , or the blank stock number.. something like that.

The stocks are very stiff to remove on mine. Basically three alignment pins. The same on original pythons? I’m thinking yes because here supposed to be compatible.
An alignment pin near the top. Another near the bottom heel, and another near the bottom front, that pin runs through to the other grip.

I removed mine by unscrewing the stocks screw. Then dropping back in the hole and tapping screw head with a softer piece of wood.. like grace screwdriver handle straight down on it. This pushes the right side panel from the inside and gets it started on coming off. It still took some time to work that panel off by hand gently. Once right side is off, you can tap off the left panel from the inside.

Anyone that picks up a pry tool is messing up. These stocks or laser exact fit. They’re tight and the seams wood edge will be damaged. Just a word to the wise there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just for the sake of conversation, I noticed that there is a much larger number also printed on the inside of both grips. I should have took a pic but didn’t. It was like a big number 2. I figure the manufacturer model number of the grip , or the blank stock number.. something like that.

The stocks are very stiff to remove on mine. Basically three alignment pins. The same on original pythons? I’m thinking yes because here supposed to be compatible.
An alignment pin near the top. Another near the bottom heel, and another near the bottom front, that pin runs through to the other grip.

I removed mine by unscrewing the stocks screw. Then dropping back in the hole and tapping screw head with a softer piece of wood.. like grace screwdriver handle straight down on it. This pushes the right side panel from the inside and gets it started on coming off. It still took some time to work that panel off by hand gently. Once right side is off, you can tap off the left panel from the inside.

Anyone that picks up a pry tool is messing up. These stocks or laser exact fit. They’re tight and the seams wood edge will be damaged. Just a word to the wise there.
This is good advice the grips are fitted superbly to my Python and are a very tight fit. Extreme care is needed when removing them to prevent damage to them.

This could be why some people who sent their pythons in for repair received theirs back with different grips.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Don't forget!! When removing the stocks, be prepared for those three pins to jump off the grip and head for the darkest, most inaccessible place you can imagine.

Reactions: Burgs

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,663 Posts
Original Colt factory Target grip never used alignment pins.
The only alignment was the single frame pin in the bottom of the frame that fit holes in the grips.
The older grips did sometimes tend to shift unless the screw was tight, but over tightening could compress the left screw hole and make the threaded shank protrude from the threaded bushing on the right grip.

The new grips can interchange with the original Python because the grip frames are the same size and shape, but the old grips didn't use any alignment pins.

Removal of Colt grips is best done by unscrewing the grip screw, then screwing it back in a couple of threads, then pressing or tapping the head to push the right grip off. This is better then just dropping the screw in the hole because the threads on the screw or bushing could be distorted.
If necessary the screw can be screwed in a few more threads and a fitted screwdriver bit put in the slot and tapped to loosen the grip.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
As an aside while I'm hunkering down in Illinois I was passing time looking at current auction prices online. Very entertaining to say the least and a lot of shill bidding going on no doubt. Some auctions have even surpassed what truly collectable Pythons are bringing. It must be the virus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As an aside while I'm hunkering down in Illinois I was passing time looking at current auction prices online. Very entertaining to say the least and a lot of shill bidding going on no doubt. Some auctions have even surpassed what truly collectable Pythons are bringing. It must be the virus.
I wonder just how many of these upcoming coronavirus checks from the government will be used to buy a new Python, or some other brand firearm for that matter.

Being shut up in the house and having too much time on one's hands can oftentimes result in someone spending a lot of money on things like firearms. I need to limit my time on the computer for that very reason, but for now I'm still searching for that new Python at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I'd say the 20-50 year olds that are still working, and may have now been laid off, are not thinking of any government checks as "fun money." They're thinking of it as "food money" for their families. I've been thinking about the irony of this particular virus. It hardly effects the young physically, but mostly affects them in their finances, because they're the ones in service jobs getting shut down. The retired and those in their peak earning years have little to worry about financially, but their death rate from the virus is much higher.

If I got any check from Uncle Sam, I'd probably send it back, or put it in some stock to try to get American companies back on their feet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wonder just how many of these upcoming coronavirus checks from the government will be used to buy a new Python, or some other brand firearm for that matter.
I'm raising my hand right here. My wife told me to use it to go out and get another gun. I told her I already have mucho, and don't really know what I want anyway, since I'm still in lust with my new Python. Her reply was to find a gun or buy a bunch of ammo, or both, otherwise I'd just fritter it away on "stupid stuff".

I guess most guys don't have problems like this, but every time Obama made a speech about "gun safety" she'd send me to the gun store.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New video by Colt on removing Grips and changing front sight.

Python starts at 3:37.

https://www.facebook.com/109481702477643/posts/2829321053827014/?vh=e&d=n

This is good advice the grips are fitted superbly to my Python and are a very tight fit. Extreme care is needed when removing them to prevent damage to them.

This could be why some people who sent their pythons in for repair received theirs back with different grips.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
One particular site has bids over 5K for a 4.25" one, who in their right mind would spend that much on a current production revolver?

2181 - 2200 of 2708 Posts