Colt Forum banner

2521 - 2540 of 2578 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I only got one with my 6" Python. My 4" nor my Cobra had one. I guess it was just a "use 'em until you're out of them" deal.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I only got one with my 6" Python. My 4" nor my Cobra had one. I guess it was just a "use 'em until you're out of them" deal.
Colt does not use targets at the rifle range any longer and has not for awhile. It is an electronic video system and captures a picture if required for military accuracy requirements. Paper is a PIA and is obsolete this has streamlined the process immensely.

Pistols I am not sure about.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Did you guys all get a Target with your new Python? One wasn’t in the box, just figured they ran out. Worth asking Colt about it? Kind of nice to have the whole package
that slipped right past me. I got the poster /Target with the first 6”. .. that was it . Other five pythons did not have a target poster and I didn’t even notice it. Thanks for pointing that out, BH. Guess it was just first ones until they ran out or something.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Same here. I think the target was only included with the first (and so far only) batch of 6" models. If you simply must have one, it seems Custom Shop Inc is selling them separately...
Nope--CCS has been closed for almost 3 months. If it is sold on line then no problem. Yes I had the marketing poster target with the 6inch and took up too much room in the case when folded. Pitched it. I was thinking someone actually thought there was a test target fired with the pistol they received. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Colt does not use targets at the rifle range any longer and has not for awhile. It is an electronic video system and captures a picture if required for military accuracy requirements. Paper is a PIA and is obsolete this has streamlined the process immensely.

Pistols I am not sure about.
They're talking about the paper target for YOU to shoot at. The first batch of Pythons that went out all had a Colt paper target for you to shoot at and take a picture of to share on social media.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Picked up my 4.25" Python at SW last night (#5725). Fit and finish are perfect. There are no scrapes, dings, scratches or anything else on the gun. It was dripping with oil from the interior, so I removed the sideplate to clean it out. Sideplate screws were treated with some form of loc-tite type product, and were quite snug.

The action was a little heavier than I expected, so I assume that the factory modifications had been made by the time my gun was produced. Absolutely no complaints about the smoothness, though. The hammer and trigger are perfectly centered, so even after a few hundred rounds of snap-cap firing, there are no rub marks on either part.

There are currently no ranges open in my area, so I'll have to wait to see how it shoots. So far, the only complaint I have is that I don't really care for the look of the laminated stocks, but the shape fits my hand much better than the legacy stocks. so I'll just live with it.

Is the new Python worth $1500 and tax? From a strictly value for dollar viewpoint, probably not. Then again. it's a new Python, something I thought I'd never see again, and appears to be a worthy successor to the legacy guns. I had no problem turning over my cash for the pleasure of owning one.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Picked up my 4.25" Python at SW last night (#5725). Fit and finish are perfect. There are no scrapes, dings, scratches or anything else on the gun. It was dripping with oil from the interior, so I removed the sideplate to clean it out. Sideplate screws were treated with some form of loc-tite type product, and were quite snug.

The action was a little heavier than I expected, so I assume that the factory modifications had been made by the time my gun was produced. Absolutely no complaints about the smoothness, though. The hammer and trigger are perfectly centered, so even after a few hundred rounds of snap-cap firing, there are no rub marks on either part.

There are currently no ranges open in my area, so I'll have to wait to see how it shoots. So far, the only complaint I have is that I don't really care for the look of the laminated stocks, but the shape fits my hand much better than the legacy stocks. so I'll just live with it.

Is the new Python worth $1500 and tax? From a strictly value for dollar viewpoint, probably not. Then again. it's a new Python, something I thought I'd never see again, and appears to be a worthy successor to the legacy guns. I had no problem turning over my cash for the pleasure of owning one.
Make sure you reapply lock-tite Back On the screws. it is there for a Very Good Reason. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
@TOM-M: there was a video on YouTube by dare I say it (goldenweb). Channel is ok but he had a video the other day that showed an area of the crane. If there are two proof marks on the crane the your gun has the updates to alleviate the problems from the initial launch. I can say that my SN is a couple hundred lower then yours and my Python has the two marks.

As for cost? I googled an inflation calculator and based off of when my dad bought his Python back in 1972 for 180, and I am guessing but that may be close; as I was still in the oven. 180 in 1972 is equal to about 1125 in 2020.

Again like you stated it is a Python and overall I am happy to have just one more but it’ll be something to pass to down to the kids.

Congrats on the new firearm and enjoy. I am pretty impressed with mine. Now if I only had a few extra bucks to get the 4.25” then so be it but will probably wait till prices drop, but overall my main goal was to get the 6” this year.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
The information on that Goldenweb video re: how to tell whether your Python has the updates is incorrect. The marks inside the crane are the VP and inspector marks that were formerly around the trigger guard on vintage models. Every new 2017+ Revolver should have those marks inside the crane now, though some are so poorly executed as to be barely recognizable.

·
Registered
488 Posts
To reinforce what BubbaShakers was saying, here’s a photo of my 1st batch 6” python with the marks that did not change after the repair was made In January. There are the two marks alth tough to make out like Bubba said.

There are no marks put on the revolver after the repair/modification are made. The guy who made the video is incorrect.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
One thing about my new 4.25" Python that surprised me was how heavy the trigger pull is. Now granted the Gen 1 Pythons were basically target pistols with very light triggers. And Colt dealing with complaints of light strikes decided to increase the hammer spring weight by a considerable margin. The SA pull on mine has a super clean break but checking it today with a Lyman digital gauge I was getting pulls at around 6 lbs. The DA pull was 11/12 lbs. Since my Python is basically just a range toy for me it will hopefully lighten up with use. Comparing this with the trigger on my Colt 3" King Cobra the SA pull is around 3 lbs and the DA around 7/8 lbs. It kind of makes me wish Colt had just left the hammer spring weight low as in their 1'st run of Pythons. I usually shoot Federal ammo so I'm pretty sure light strikes would not be an issue. That said other than the surprisingly heavy trigger this new Gen 2 Python is a very nice revolver.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
Some aftermarket company will probably be coming out with a replacement mainspring to lighten the trigger pull...whether or not one is needed.

2521 - 2540 of 2578 Posts