Colt Forum banner

2541 - 2560 of 2578 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The heavier trigger doesn't really bother me it was just surprising when compared to my 3" King Cobra. At least it's super smooth in DA and crisp in SA. Every time I pick up my new Python I love the weight and feel of it. I'm just glad Colt can still build a very high quality revolver. I wonder what they'll bring out next, I keep hearing Anaconda but a Diamondback would be nice too and easy to do on the KC frame. And of course TALO will be having some special runs with the Pythons, hopefully a 3" version.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
The heavier trigger doesn't really bother me it was just surprising when compared to my 3" King Cobra. At least it's super smooth in DA and crisp in SA. Every time I pick up my new Python I love the weight and feel of it. I'm just glad Colt can still build a very high quality revolver.

when I’m picking up the new 3” KC or 4” Target KC and then pick up even the 4.25” new python .. then that new python feels like it’s heavy duty.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Colt Custom Shop used to offer a special "target" action job for the Python that had a lighter trigger pull but was supposedly not guaranteed to be reliable with magnum primers. Is anyone here familiar with this? If true, it seems the first run of 6" models effectively shipped with "target" springs as standard equipment:D

·
Registered
488 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Colt Custom Shop used to offer a special "target" action job for the Python that had a lighter trigger pull but was supposedly not guaranteed to be reliable with magnum primers. Is anyone here familiar with this? If true, it seems the first run of 6" models effectively shipped with "target" springs as standard equipment:D
That was with the old model BTW, this model has limited ability to be modified, was designed to improve on the shortcomings of the old Python action (stacking). Colt will not put out a product for liability reasons (common sense) that will not function with commercial SAAMI Specification ammunition. Reloaded/Handloaded ammunition Colt does not warrant the firearm in any form or fashion. Additionally, if the pistol you had modified that had a "function disclaimer" and it was sold to someone else who was not aware of that and was injured or killed because of a failure to fire with new commercial ammunition that was SAAMI. The Civil litigation that would ensure would be ugly.

This is why Colt will not work on customized firearms (other than Colt ie CCS) it will be sent back no work performed. Just one example, if you have had a trigger modification performed by xxxx it will be returned to you no work performed or factory parts put back in.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If I may ask. Why all the 4.25? Love all of them though! Wish I had a few bucks to get my 4.25 maybe later this year or atleast after I clear a few things from the gun safe

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
This afternoon I more accurately checked the SA/DA trigger pull weight against my King Cobra and while the DA pull is close on both the SA on the Python is a couple pounds heavier. That said the triggers on both are very smooth DA and very crisp SA. The Python has a very high quality feel to it and I love the finish on it. Next week I hope to get out to the range with it. I have around 700 rounds thru my King Cobra and it has been trouble free, I'm sure the Python will be likewise. Anyone else check the trigger pull weights on their Pythons? I imagine all the later ones are similar to mine.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Are you planning on shooting any of the 4.25", out are you gonna flip them all eventually? Not judging, just asking.
With production going up and when supply meets demand which will be sooner than later "flipping" if going to happen to make money better be pretty quick. Gunpoker pricing has fallen quite a bit over the last month as more get into the marketplace. Happens quite a bit and until initial pent up demand is satisficed which is getting closer, pricing will be at MSRP or a little more on the "Poker".

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Are you planning on shooting any of the 4.25", out are you gonna flip them all eventually? Not judging, just asking.
I have two boys that I’m planning on saving each a 4.25” . Again , barrel decision was simply just availability . The sixers just not out there for msrp again... yet. One I got on Jan 1st.. least expensive of the bunch, then the other 6“ was msrp plus tax. Colt hasn’t got the next big batch or production sixers out there yet.. when they do. 6 and 4 prices may flip flop Each other.
it’s too late to flip guns I think. $2.5-$3k .. yeah. woulda had to think about it because if they eventually ever WERE to Be worth that much in the market again... probably be outside my expiration date. But now, the profit to hassle ratio .. not good. ...I’ve sold a bunch of guns recently (which helped fund Team 6 Python up there), and it’s a huge worry for me. The buyers are good. no problem 99.9%. .. but something gets lost or damaged in the shipping.. its All over but the crying for me And that’s out of my control.
i recently sold a pair of consecutive serialed Boy Scout edition 10/22’s to a forum member. I made some good money and he knew exactly What they were worth and That’s what he paid for a good deal. I had some time, effort, and money in the packing and shipping because I couldn’t replace those guns today. . I will say that I do like selling handguns better than rifles as far as packing and shipping of course.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This afternoon I more accurately checked the SA/DA trigger pull weight against my King Cobra and while the DA pull is close on both the SA on the Python is a couple pounds heavier. That said the triggers on both are very smooth DA and very crisp SA. The Python has a very high quality feel to it and I love the finish on it. Next week I hope to get out to the range with it. I have around 700 rounds thru my King Cobra and it has been trouble free, I'm sure the Python will be likewise. Anyone else check the trigger pull weights on their Pythons? I imagine all the later ones are similar to mine.
View attachment 700941 View attachment 700942 View attachment 700944 View attachment 700945 View attachment 700946
SA was about 6lbs and DA was great than 9. I have a wheeler gauge and the highest it goes was 9.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would suggest to check the tiny Hex set screw on the horizontal rear sight adj. I put about 25 though mine then decided to move point of aim to the left. The adj screw was EASILY moving back/forth and set screw was not tight! Would have been easy for the sight to walk back/forth or for the set screw to FALL OUT without inspection over short time.. Disappointing.

Also was disappointed because I could not get the sight up high enough for a 6 o'clock hold. With the sight adjusted all the way up it will shoot a couple inches low with this point of aim. Have to aim dead on to hit Bullseye through my eyes with no further "up" adjustment .

LAME! I'm thinking this gun is more of a novelty than a real shooter! Took it to a BBQ today. At least it passes that test! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Some observations.

I think I might be the only one who really likes the grips. I like the muted color against the white stainless steel. I like the fit better than the target grip on my my MK III Trooper. It doesn't have the big flair at the base the older target grips had, and they're not as thick.

The grip on my 6" gun is a darker color than the 4". They both have a dark spot on the right side grip that looks like dirt or soot or something, but doesn't look as bad in real life as they do in pictures. I really didn't notice it until I saw it in the pictures. I had to go back and look for it on the guns.

My 6" gun (the older one) has a lighter trigger than the 4". I don't have a gauge so I can't say how much difference there is, but the 4" has gotten better, or I've just gotten used to it, with a few hundred rounds of dry fire. I haven't actually had a chance to get that one to the range yet. They are both very smooth. The 6" one has had a few light strikes when using my reloads with CCI primers. None with factory ammo. I've loaded some ammo with Federal primers, which I've always heard are "softer", but haven't had a chance to try them since the virus thing closed down the ranges about that time.

Something I'd never thought to look for until someone mentioned it here, neither hammer nor trigger show any "drag" marks. The 6" one has over 800 rounds of live fire, and I don't know how many dry fire cycles, but the hammer and trigger are unmarked.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Papulski I agree with you on the trigger, it's to bad Colt increased the hammer spring weight but I guess they wanted to make it more reliable even with cheap ammo. I love your grips are they Culinas or aftermarket Thai grips? Whatever they are they look great.

2541 - 2560 of 2578 Posts